Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Mavericks Mail and Exchange 2013

Hello,

I have just updated to Mavericks a few days ago. Now I have a strange problem.

The setup with Exchange 2013 works fine ... so I can send&receive mails.

The problem: I only get new mails. All (few thausand) mails stored on the Exchange account are not synced to mail?!

Maybe anyone has an idea how to solve this ...

Thanks,

Marc

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 5:43 AM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2013 1:53 AM in response to Linc Davis

Well, correct. That is what I reported ...

But imho this is a must have ... there is just no way around having access to all my mails. How am I supposed to work with this program if I cannot use all data I have?

I luckily found out that each account we have with our external exchange provider also includes a license for Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac.

So finally back to Outlook again, which works perfectly fine with exchange.

But that is not a valid solution for me as long as Mail does offer to handle exchange accounts. If it offered - it has to work. That's why most people are p#++ed of Windows.

Regards,

Marc

Nov 19, 2013 2:24 AM in response to tangeltingel

If you broswe these forums for Mac Mail problems you will be amazed at the number of posts and problems encounter everyday. Not to say other Mail program don't suffer from some of the same problems but it just seems Mail is more prone to failing in one way or another on a daily basis.

In switched years ago to Outlook and haven't had one problem with it through 3 versions of OS X. Lion, Mt lion and now Mavericks.

Nov 19, 2013 9:44 AM in response to tangeltingel

Tried ... didn't work ...

I actually did this before following your 'link', but without any changes in the inbox ... or any other folders. And I don't even have any other mailbox I could select, so this shouldn't be a problem.

As LowLuster already posted, there are loads of people complaining about this issue ... without any feedback from Cupertino on this ... This platform here was my last hope to find a way.

Nov 19, 2013 11:21 AM in response to tangeltingel

Some problems with Exchange mail have been solved by disabling Autodiscovery. If that doesn't work, see below.

Back up all data. Delete the Exchange account from the Internet Accounts preference pane and add it back. If there's still no improvement, continue.

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data. That means you know you can restore the Mail database, no matter what happens.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

• Envelope Index
  • ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Log out and log back in. Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Nov 19, 2013 12:25 PM in response to tangeltingel

Wow ... sounds like real ease of use ...

I am grateful for your effort to help, really! But as mentioned somewhere here I now have a working solution with MS Outlook for Mac.

And that was as easy as it gets with exchange.

This is just not apple-like. Apple always prides themselves to deliver customer orientated, easy to use products ... and they do with most of the stuff they release - but Mail.

Let's leave it there and see what happens with updates.

Thanks,

Marc

Nov 22, 2013 9:06 PM in response to tangeltingel

I am suddenly having similar problems - Mail with Exchange 2010 worked fine after maverics - for about two weeks, then suddenly I found that I am loosing emails (I know this becuase both my iPad and iPhone continue to work fine). So following advice I decide to rebuild... now I have NO messages beyong 2 years ago... nothing. Telling it to sync exhange does nothing - it starts to look for mail but just stops. Thousands of mail messages now only available from iPad or web-mail to Exchange server.

Like others I seem now to have no option but to go to Outlook, which I hate - but I have $$$$m to protect. We went all mac about 6 years ago against the wishes of the parent organisation (and with no tech support) - has been great of course - but this is impssible.

Mar 3, 2014 8:58 PM in response to kipjryan

There's other user forums on this, and one suggestion from Brad has been this, so please try it:

It sounds like your Exchange server is not properly configured. Do you have access to Outlook Web Accesss? If so, use the server fqdn as the Internal and External Server.

Example: OWA is https://mail.mydomain.com/owa

Set the

Internal Server to: mail.mydomain.com

External Server to: mail.mydomain.com

Try that and report back.

Problem with Mavericks Mail and Exchange 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.