Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail app very slow since last update

Has anyone else noticed a problem with Apple Mail since the latest update of 7th November?

I upgraded to Mavericks, and Mail was fine. But then I installed the separate upgrade that was offered to Mail, which was announced as being something to do with making it more Gmail-friendly, and ever since my messages have been noticeably much more slow to open.

I double-click on a message to read it and the message window opens immediately, but the content part of it now remains blank for a few seconds before it appears.

I've tried using Time Machine to go back to what I had before the upgrade, but OS X won't let me do that.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 8:11 AM

8 replies

Jan 9, 2014 5:54 AM in response to Steve Zodiac

Hi Steve, I too have had the exact same problem on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. If you send one normal email at a time with no attachments it tends to work. However, as soon as you add an attachment of more than 1Mb, then it won't send, and the progress bar just sits at half way. I have to quit Mail and restart until the message goes. Any attachment above 1Mb just won't send at all! Plus if there are more than 1 email in the outbox, then they won't send either, and you I have to quit Mail again and again until they send. This never used to happen, and I was able to send large files of say 10Mb with no problem, along with multiple emails.

Apple, please sort this problem out, as I can't run my business in this way.

Has anybody got any solutions to this infuriuating problem?

Thanks!

Andy

Feb 24, 2014 1:25 PM in response to Chris Zervos

I tried the FixKB article and it looks like my mac mail's GMail box is performing reasonably well now. Quick summary of

http://www.fixkb.com/2013/03/apple-mail-application-very-slow-to-respond.html

1) Quit Mail

2) Open Terminal

3) Paste the following into Terminal window:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope\ Index vacuum;

4) Hit Enter.

5) Wait a moment until that process seems complete.

6) Restart Mail

Apple Mail app very slow since last update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.