Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to save both edited AND original photo in camera roll?

If I edit a photo from my camera roll using iPhoto, when I go back to the camera roll only the edited photo is shown. How do I keep a copy of the original photo in the camera roll and add the edited photo as a seperate photo? I realise I can view both in iPhoto but I want both saved as seperate files in the camera roll. In othe words, I want both the original AND the edited versions in my camera roll so I can access them from other apps.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 8:11 AM

11 replies

Jan 25, 2014 3:17 AM in response to Dadius Maximus

Try this work-around:

(depending on skill level)

Copy a photo, to a Stickies (cmd+spacebar - type: sitckies): it will give you it's location.

Click on finder in the dock (Happy Blue Square face guy) > then top of the screen Grey bar with Finder in Bold > click on Go

Then - Go to Folder - [alternatively keyboard shortcut Shift+Cmd+G (all 3 at the same time)]

It opens a text box in a finder window> paste the photo location in there. > Go > there you can COPY - ONLY! the photo into a new folder on the desktop or in FAVORITES > Pictures,

You can then import the new folder to iPhoto. > Edit the photos from the new album only so as to keep iPhoto happy with the ordering

Navigate the Finder window to add photos to the new folder

The address should look a bit like this:

/Users/[user-name]/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/[seriesofidentifiernumbers]/[photoname].jpg

Nov 18, 2013 8:47 AM in response to Dadius Maximus

How do I keep a copy of the original photo in the camera roll and add the edited photo as a seperate photo?

Duplicate the photo before you edit it.

• In the Photos.app you can create duplicates by using "Share > Copy".
  • In iPhoto you you save a copy of your edited Photo to the Camera Roll by "Share > Apps > Camera Roll. Save it before you edit the photo, to preserve the original in the Camera Roll. Or revert the original after duplicating it.

Nov 18, 2013 9:15 AM in response to léonie

When I "Share > Copy" in the Photos.app (photo is selected with checkmark) nothing happens. No duplicate is shown. No duplicate is seen in iPhoto either.

"Share > Apps > Camera Roll" worked in iPhoto before photo is edited.

After photo is edited, I can view the original (toggle button on top right when in landscape) but when I click "share" when viewing original it immediately reverts back to edited photo.

Since this is Apple and iPhoto I'm assuming there must be an easier way to do this.

Nov 18, 2013 9:26 AM in response to Dadius Maximus

Think I came up with a decent solution. Maybe this is what Leonie was suggesting I do.

• Open the photo in iPhoto
  • Edit the photo
    "Share > Apps > Camera Roll" (edited version will be saved as a seperate photo in Camera Roll)
  • Click the 3-dots icon in lower right (landscape mode)
  • Click "revert" (image goes back to original in iPhoto AND Camera Roll)

I am left with a copy of the original AND a copy of the edited-original in my Camera Roll .

How to save both edited AND original photo in camera roll?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.