Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Newer Version of Pages

Do I have to purchase newer versions of Pages? I thought Pages would automatically upgrade to the latest version. However, the system is asking me to go to the store to purchase version 5.0.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 8:23 AM

Pages is not updated automatically, so you have to do it yourself. Open the Mac App Store, go to Updates and download the most recent Pages version. You will be able to download it for free if you already have got Pages '09.

If you don't see it in Updates, switch the OS X language in System Preferences > Language & Region, and restart. If you are using an older iWork version, you have to purchase Pages

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2013 8:23 AM in response to Nell2453

Pages is not updated automatically, so you have to do it yourself. Open the Mac App Store, go to Updates and download the most recent Pages version. You will be able to download it for free if you already have got Pages '09.

If you don't see it in Updates, switch the OS X language in System Preferences > Language & Region, and restart. If you are using an older iWork version, you have to purchase Pages

Nov 18, 2013 8:38 AM in response to Nell2453

There are several reasons why the updates don't show as free for those who already have iWork '09 installed.

1. You must have iWork '09 apps installed & they must be updated to the x.3 version. You can also download the standalone updater from this page.

2. If you are not using English as the primary language for your Mac, change to English & run Software Update. You can then switch back to your preferred language.

3. Go to Mac App Store (MAS) > Click on Store > Check for Unfinished Downloads. You will need to individually click into each application > Click update > enter in your Apple ID & password and then it will start updating.

4. Open App Store on your Mac & look at the buttons under Keynote, Pages & Numbers. If it does not say “Update” click Account under Quick Links, enter your password & click “View Account.” Next, click the “Reset” button to the right of “Reset all warnings for buying and downloading” at the bottom of this page, & click Done. Check your updates tab & iWork & iLife updates should now appear.

These are the ones I've seen work for others.

User uploaded file

Nov 18, 2013 12:33 PM in response to Nell2453

Mende and Peggy: Thanks for your responses. They were very helpful.

Peggy, I did everything you indicated. Thanks for the link to update iWork '09 to x.3 version. In the App Store, Pages shows as having been updated to version 5.0 in October. Therefore, I checked for unfinished updates. Various applications (including Pages) finished downloading their respective updates. However, when I open Pages, it still shows that it is version 4.3 and it is still not allowing me to open a document I saved in Cloud. I decided to verify whether the other applications had updated versions, and noticed that Keynote and Numbers did not update either. I even restarted my Mac, just in case this made a difference. But it didn't.

I also reset my account to no avail. One of the messages I get from the App Store is "You can use the Purchases page to download applications again". Yet, the button next to the applications is dimmed and indicate "Installed". Therefore, there is no way to download the update again. Yet, the buttons for the operation systems would allow me another download, which I do not need.

Should I take my Mac to the Genius Bar in the Apple store?

Nov 18, 2013 12:35 PM in response to Nell2453

After updating to Pages 5.0, Pages 4.3 is still kept, so you are opening that version instead of 5.0.

To fix this, open a Finder window, select Applications in the sidebar and drag the new Pages application to the Dock, so you can access to it quickly. Then, open it and you will be able to open your documents

Upgrading to Newer Version of Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.