Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64-bit version of iTunes"

I've been banging my head against a wall now for the past hour trying to get itunes to sync my iphone but it just won't work, no matter the workarounds I attempt.

How the ******* **** am I supposed to connect my iphone to my PC?

windows 8 64bit is what I'm running

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 9:26 AM

7 replies

Nov 18, 2013 9:36 AM in response to joel406

I've already tried removing itunes and reinstalling it half a dozen times. For every reinstall I've purged absolutely everything from my computer that originated from apple.

And unless ALL of the different download links I've tried for the 64bit installer have all been an erroneously named 32 bit installer then no, that's not the problem either.

Nov 18, 2013 9:53 AM in response to ALLCRUSTEDUP

AllCrust:

There is obviously an issue with compatibility between your Windows computer and the itunes download.

What we have to do is to determine where and what is incompatible.

I'm not clear WHERE you are at when downloading your copy of itunes 64 bit for windows. I'm providing you with a webpage that gives you specific download site for the most recent update of this version of itunes. Good luck

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1615

Nov 18, 2013 10:04 AM in response to ALLCRUSTEDUP

If you have download the correct version of itunes (which I believe you have) AND have updated your Windows 8 to the latest windows updates (roughly 45 updates in the last 2 - 3 months??) Then we must turn to the device to see if there are issues going on with the device that are disabling the syncing process. If these conditions have been met the next thing you should consider would be do you have another computer in which would be available such that you can attempt to sync your device to? This would then rule out any thing going on with your computer. ie... IF when attepting to sync with another computer and you find your device WILL sync with the alternate computer that tells you there is an issue with the computer. IF however you find that your device will NOT sync with another computer that points the finger straight at your device.

If it is the device that is causing the issue your next step will be to restore the device back to default settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Try then to connect with Windows 8 AFTER all other conditions have been met.

Good luck!

Apr 14, 2014 7:32 AM in response to ALLCRUSTEDUP

Allcrustedup,

I upgraded to Win 7 64bit from XP 32bit and had the same problem. I followed the instructions and deleted all the items mentioned and still got the message "Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64-bit version of iTunes." It was very frustrating.

I deleted the items from Program Files (x86) as instructed. I did this 3 times until I decided that I did it correctly and something else must be causing the problem.

I decided to look into Program Files, without the x86, and found the same items. I deleted them also and then reinstalled iTunes. I plugged in my iPhone and all went well after following the trust this computer and other messages.

Check and delete from both libraries.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Dave

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64-bit version of iTunes"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.