Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Retina Macbook keeps shutting down randomly.

I bought the new (Late 2013) 15-inch Retina Macbook Pro and recently it has started to shutdown randomly.

Before it shuts down, whatever is playing kind of stutters 3 or 4 times, like a broken CD and then the screen goes black and it shuts down.

Everything is up-to-date and am not doing anything intesive, just browsing the internet and listening to Spotify.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Should I bring it in to get checked? Everyting works perfectly until this happens.

Here are my specs in case they come in useful.

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1024 MB

Software OS X 10.9 (13A3017)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 9:06 AM

24 replies

Aug 21, 2017 10:35 AM in response to Community User

After too many visits to the Apple Store and finding that the extension program (link: MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues - Apple Support) Which in detail describes the exact problems we are all facing, I have been continually refused help unless I pay to get it fixed. The Repair Extension program ONLY works for the 15 inch model, this is absurd to me. A lot of people with the 13 inch model are also facing the same issues, why is there only a recall for the more expensive model to be repaired for free? Hopefully Apple will realize this and extend the program to all MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013 models in the future.

Aug 29, 2017 11:18 AM in response to sweetcontradiction

Hi sweetcontradiction, it seems you are the lucky few who's model would be covered under this extension program. It sickens me how they do not tell you about it in hopes that you will pay them to fix it for you. Check it out and demand that they replace your logic board for free because it is a faulty manufacturing issue.

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues - Apple Support

Sep 16, 2017 11:32 PM in response to Community User

It seems that these issues are from the CPU overheating. The Mac Fans program does help by manually turning up the cooling fans.

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control/download

When loading this, turn the fans up manually to keep the laptop cool when it's doing heavy processing work such as media editing or video playback. Why the fans are not automatically turning up on their own is the question.

If that does not help, you can get a replacement CPU from Apple under this program:

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues - Apple Support

Good luck : )

May 21, 2017 10:49 AM in response to NosceIpsum

I have the same exact issue as well. My MacBook Pro started to shutdown randomly. I'm even concerned I may not able to complete this post. I have lost a great deal of work while in grad school and working on important projects. This is extremely frustrating.

I have listed my model below. Has Apple done anything to address? My technical and service coverage recently expired. Hopefully, they can still address. This sounds like an issue that is known be Apple and I have been with the company for so long and with so many products, so I want to believe they will do the right thing and correct. I just need my MacBook pro to work. I don't want anything extra - just fix this known issue that has frustrated so many users and lost hours of work for customers.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Jul 16, 2017 12:43 PM in response to vistasfbay

Hi everyone, just to bump this post up, after 6 visits to the Apple Store due to the same issue, I am now asked to pay $475 to have my MacBook Pro shipped off-site for hardware inspection. They do not know what is wrong with it but some technicians were guessing it was the logic board. Anyhow, I am not going to be paying that much for a device I initially paid over 2 grand for. I brought up that fact that a lot of people in the community have been facing the same problem and asked what are the next steps that could be done to initiated some sort of program for these specific MacBook Pro Retina 2013 models. I was told nothing will be done until Apple deems it is a big enough problem. It is not a user-related issue but rather a faulty manufacturing issue that users now have to pay the price for.

May 11, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Community User

Im having exactly the same issue for a half year now. Two weeks after i bought my MBP late 2013 this happened for the first time. After another two weeks, I had an appointment at the genius bar where they ran their diagnostics program and found nothing. After the test the genius completely erased my mac and installed maverics again. But at the same day it started flickering again and restarted! This happens sometimes ten times an hour!

The crash report mostly says that the launchd proces is responsible for the crash and in the console I can read some line which index on a kernel panic!

Reseting the P-RAM doesnt work and the EFI update is also up to date since i bought it.

I realy expect more of a thre and a half dollar machine!!!

I will make another appointment at the genius bar and hope they excange my macbook!

MPB 15"

2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1024 MB

OS X 10.9.2 (13C1021)

New Retina Macbook keeps shutting down randomly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.