Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

non-iOS users can't contact my number after switching to Android

Hello,

A week ago, I switched from iPhone 5 to an Android phone, and ported my number from AT&T to T-mobile at the same time.

Ever since, non-iPhone users have not been able to send me an SMS text, and it appears that their iOS device still thinks my phone number can accept iMessages.

I also have an iPad mini, so after doing some research, I un-registered both my iPhone 5 and iPad mini with Apple so that my Apple ID and phone number.

I also removed my SIM card from my iPhone 5 (iPad mini was wi-fi only).

But after all this, my friends using iOS still can't send me text messages and their texts to me still show up as iMessages on their iOS device.

Help - is there anything else I can do to fix this?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 12:24 PM

10 replies

Nov 18, 2013 12:41 PM in response to flyunited1979

flyunited1979 wrote:

But after all this, my friends using iOS still can't send me text messages and their texts to me still show up as iMessages on their iOS device.

IF your friends are attempting to text you using imessage on your non iphone device they will then BE UNABLE to text you as you have de-activated your imessaging login. When people using Apple devices want to text you they will then do what everyone else does and that is use regular celular data text options to text you. It's my guess they are continuing to try to text you using the imessaging feature which is exclusive only to iPhone users. Hope this helps!

Nov 18, 2013 12:47 PM in response to PhilipRoy

Thanks - that all makes sense to me, but aside from asking my friends to send me texts using non-iMessage, which is almost impossible since I have many contacts, I'm just wondering whether Apple should already detected that my phone number isn't attached to an iOS device and just turns off iMessage for my number. Seems like it should be as straightforward as that without me having to tell everyone I know to change their settings.

Nov 18, 2013 1:05 PM in response to Sqrlzrus

I found the fix!

You have to do these things, in this order:

Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do

Click on "Edit Products"

Click on the "X" to the right of the product.

Click "Unregister"

then:

Go to: https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

Click on Reset my password

Reset your Apple ID password per the instructions

Voila, you should be able to receive texts from non-iOS users!

Jan 10, 2014 5:31 PM in response to flyunited1979

This is the option that worked for me after trying all of the other fixes to no avail. I also found this support tip from a Verizon wireless tech at almost the same time I found your post:

Did you previously have an iPhone before activating your new S4? There have been several reports of people who previously had an iPhone but change to an S3 and are no longer able to receive SMS from other iPhone users who have iMessage turned on. This may also be the case with the S4.

You need to go to https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do and unregister your old iPhone to resolve the issue. Once unregistered it may take a few hours before it updates and you're able to send/receive text message with iPhone devices that have iMessages turned on.

My texts started coming through about 30 minutes after I unregistered the previous iPhone I had. That was the most frustrating experience I've had with Apple although there have been other issues with them too. I probably will never ever go back to Apple again.

Apr 16, 2014 10:32 AM in response to flyunited1979

So here is what I was told from Apple support as of 4-16-2014. Apparently they are aware of an issue with Iphone users that cannot send text messages to non-iphone users who once had an iphone. All the reccomendations on here are correct in that you have de-register your number in order for iMessage to be deactivated. You make the necessary changes to the old iphone if accessible. However, if you have made all those changes, I was informed that Apple is aware non-iphone users cant recieve texts from current some iphone users, despite the reccomendations. Therefore, the issue is on their end and I was told that an update fixing the issue is required. I asked if there was a projected timeline but they said they did not have one. Essentially you are screwed after leaving Apple despite having made the changes they reccomended. The only option at this point is wait for the update or change your number (is my guess). This is because after the 24 hour period has passed in which the number will take to be deregistered, there is nothing else available to do in order to fix. The alternative is letting everyone know that has an iphone and is a contact of yours, to turn off iMessage all together. Shame on Apple for not addressing the issue quickly. The representative told me they are aware of the problem and will put out an update whenever that may be. I think this sways me to never going back to Apple because it has been such a hassle when I switched.

non-iOS users can't contact my number after switching to Android

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.