Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add or replace SATA cables for hard drive in "B" slot - G5

I have had to swap out some drives lately and found the two connectors each have a piece of plastic in them that I cannot seem to remove. So I need to know:

1) If there is a way to remove the stuck plastic (that was from the hard drive)

2) Add a replacement set of connectors

3) or is it more cost effective to simply use an external drive in a case like this?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), PowerMac G5

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 9:55 PM

Did you have to use excessive force to unplug the connectors? Because you refer to "SATA cables," are you indicating that both the SATA data cable connector and the power connector have become damaged? You could try using a fine pick (like one the dentist uses), to dislodge the piece of plastic from the connector. Depending on exactly where this fragment of plastic was broken, there could be problems with the plug remaining secure when fully-inserted. If this is the case, apply a very small amount of silicone adhesive/sealer to the top of the connector, so it stays in place. If the plastic won't come out of the connector or you damage it beyond use, you can undoubtedly find a computer store in your area with SATA connectors that you could snap/crimp onto the end of the cables. Otherwise, I'd suggest replacing them with new cables having adequate length, given the routing of the cable between the motherboard and drive. I wouldn't opt for the external drive solution, mainly because the internal problem shouldn't be that difficult to correct.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2013 9:55 PM in response to KGD

Did you have to use excessive force to unplug the connectors? Because you refer to "SATA cables," are you indicating that both the SATA data cable connector and the power connector have become damaged? You could try using a fine pick (like one the dentist uses), to dislodge the piece of plastic from the connector. Depending on exactly where this fragment of plastic was broken, there could be problems with the plug remaining secure when fully-inserted. If this is the case, apply a very small amount of silicone adhesive/sealer to the top of the connector, so it stays in place. If the plastic won't come out of the connector or you damage it beyond use, you can undoubtedly find a computer store in your area with SATA connectors that you could snap/crimp onto the end of the cables. Otherwise, I'd suggest replacing them with new cables having adequate length, given the routing of the cable between the motherboard and drive. I wouldn't opt for the external drive solution, mainly because the internal problem shouldn't be that difficult to correct.

Nov 19, 2013 6:59 AM in response to Jeff

Jeff:

Thanks for your posting. The plastic is stuck really tight in both and unable to remove with tweezers. Replacing the connectors may be the best option - replacing the actual wires seems tricky. Is there one connector on the motherboard? I was not able to see where the longer connector connects - the way the machine is assembled, especially with the rivets, this seems tough.

Nov 19, 2013 8:50 AM in response to KGD

Did the small vertical piece of plastic (key) at the end of the power and data slots break off in the plugs? If you're plugging into the same drive from which the pieces broke off, you wouldn't have a problem reinserting them. If you're replacing the drive, then I can understand why the plugs won't insert. Tweezers aren't the best tool to use - you really need to get a tiny pick to attempt removal of the plastic. I would try that before I'd attempt cable removal. Replacement of the plugs would likely require removal of the cables anyway, just because you'd need room to work. There are (2) power connectors on the wires coming from the power supply (the "longer" connector that plugs in on the left side as you view the end of the hard drive), so unless you have dual hard drives installed, why not use the extra one? A damaged power connector would need to be replaced, because the wires to it are part of the wiring harness coming from the power supply and not a separate detachable cable. Before installing a new plug, you need to identify and correctly position the 12-volt, 5-volt, and (2) ground wires or you'll likely damage the drive. The SATA data cable is the one that plugs in to the right of the power connection. I'd just remove it and replace with an identical cable of equal length. You should pull a string through when removing the old one, to provide a means of gently pulling the new cable through. There are (2) SATA ports near the side edge of the motherboard, where the data cable(s) from hard drive(s) are plugged in. You'll recognize the plug, as it's identical to the one you removed from the drive. Sections of the computer chassis that are riveted were assembled prior to cable installation, so feeding the cables through it has been done before and is just a minor headache.

Nov 19, 2013 1:21 PM in response to Jeff

Makes good sense, but seems such a headache. The idea is dual hard drives. I am going to see what a family member of mine can do, otehrwise it seems much less fuss on my end to just go with the external solution as the secondary drive. I feel horrible about breaking these cables, but the drive was so fussy and did not want to budge.

Nov 20, 2013 8:49 AM in response to KGD

If you don't want to feed the SATA data cable through the chassis, you can just bypass the concealed routing and run it directly between the hard drive and motherboard, being careful that it doesn't interfere with anything. For the power source, you could use a SATA power connection Y-splitter, eliminating the need to perform a repair at that location. Because a right-angle power plug connection to the hard drives is preferable, this StarTech adapter would be well-suited (there's a large photo in their gallery). You'd connect it to the remaining "good" SATA power plug, and have a (more than adequate) number of plugs for a pair of hard drives. Most computer retailers carry the StarTech line of cable accessories.

Add or replace SATA cables for hard drive in "B" slot - G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.