Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Cracked Iphone 5 screen in India bought from UK

I bought my Iphone 5 from UK but am now in India for 3-5 months and the screen has cracked, can I get it fixed from an authorised Apple dealer here? If yes what are the associated costs and will my warranty in the UK still be valid?

iPhone 5

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 1:25 PM

13 replies

Nov 18, 2013 1:31 PM in response to redanistar

Apple do not repair ,they exchange for a refurbished unit (outside the US )

No it can only be exchanged by Apple in UK but you will still pay, as user damage is not covered by the warranty

Authorised Apple Servicers will not repair or exchange any iPhone not sourced legitimately in India

Uk Exchange price is £209 for an iPhone 5

Nov 18, 2013 2:26 PM in response to redanistar

If you believe that fine

Screen replacement is available in US in only some stores it is not yet rolled out to other countries including UK

Whether they do or not screen replacement in India is irrelevant

NO INDIAN authorised servicer will touch an iPhone sourced from outside India

Search these forums for many of your Countrymen who have found that to their cost

Since you believe you have all the answers good luck

Nov 18, 2013 2:34 PM in response to wegras

I don't think there is any reason for you to be so rude, I have called the Apple stores in London who told me that they WILL replace a cracked Iphone 5 screen and the associated costs and I have also contacted Apple in the US who have given me the information that they also repair the cracked 5 screen and associated costs. I called 1800 MY APPLE in the USA and explained my situation and they told me I could use an Authorised Apple dealer in India and it wouldn't invalidate my warranty. SO if you're telling me that the Indian servicers won't touch my Iphone that's a different matter. I suggest Peter you don't be so rude in future and don't bother replying unless you have something helpful to say.

Nov 18, 2013 2:46 PM in response to redanistar

redanistar wrote:

Also I think you're confusing my phone with an Iphone 5s or 5c I have an Apple 5, 2012 version so why would they not have rolled that out yet? Check your facts before posting please, I'm a journalist and ALWAYS check my facts!!

Nobody is confused here, and Peter is also not being rude, it's the fact you do not want to hear.

If you have all the facts, why are you here?

You could rang those shops in India and asked instead of making international calls to UK & US.

Anyway good luck to you in your endeavors.

Nov 18, 2013 2:51 PM in response to redanistar

redanistar wrote:

Also I think you're confusing my phone with an Iphone 5s or 5c I have an Apple 5, 2012 version so why would they not have rolled that out yet? Check your facts before posting please, I'm a journalist and ALWAYS check my facts!!

Perhaps you should check your facts instead of making assumptions?

You can actually get a cracked screen repaired in the UK and US so why wouldn't they do the same in India? You just get charged £119 in UK and $149 in US if you don't have Apple Care otherwise its $49 for US.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english-uk.html

Service options may be limited if requesting service in a country that is not the country of purchase for the Apple Product. In the event that service for the Apple Product is not available in such country, Apple will notify you of any additional charges for shipping and handling that may apply before rendering service.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone1 and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $79 service fee plus applicable tax.2

Now, I wonder why you think it's $49, but the website says $79.

I know why. Do you?

There's also no such thing as a '2012' version of an iPhone 5. It's just an iPhone 5.

Nov 19, 2013 6:03 AM in response to redanistar

redanistar wrote:

TJ I know why because I went into two Apple stores in the US and they told me that. Plus I bought my phone BEFORE Sept 2013 when they put the prices up. Check your facts mate

Like I said, I knew why the prices are different. And the date was actually September 10th.

Now, as far as fact checking? I just provided to you documentation that Apple will probably not service the device outside of country of origin. Apple also doesn't provide the same services in all countries (Express Replacement isn't available in India, but is available in the U.S., for example), and not even all stores have the same services (not all Apple Retail Stores in the U.S. can do iPhone 5 screen replacements on site).

You know how you find out? You talk to Apple Support for India (http://www.apple.com/in/support/products/), or you talk to the local store.

You have a lot of questions, but don't seem to like our answers. Why not find out DIRECTLY from Apple what your options actually are in India?

Apr 2, 2015 10:52 PM in response to redanistar

Yesterday I accidentally dropped by iPhone 6 Grey 64 GB phone. The phone was working fine but I got cracks on screen. I went to Maple, Mumbai which is Apple Authorised Service Provider. They said they can't repair it and I have to Rs. 25150/- ($405) and they will get be replacement phone. I checked website and it says the cost of screen repair is only $109 which I found on https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/ . I shown them this link, on which they said they don't repair the phone in India and here I have to go for replacement. I bought this phone just three months back in Rs. 62500 ($1000) and now I have to shell out $405 coz they can't repair the phone in India. What is the point of having service center if they can't repair it.

It's nightmare for Apple customer if their phone gets damaged accidentally in this country. I will be cautious now to buy any new apple products ever.

Aug 19, 2015 1:59 AM in response to anksreview

Dropped my iPhone 5c cracked screen. Had been using for few months now. But decided to get it fixed.

Called up Authorized service center in Pune, Maharashtra, India. They said, it can't be repaired, but said they could replace the phone for about 23,000 INR. However a mobile shop have offered to fix it for 6,500 INR (replace the whole LCD + Digitizer )

Help! Cracked Iphone 5 screen in India bought from UK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.