Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has the Server App 2.2.2 Update vanished ?

We have a large number of OS X Server on 10.8.x. All are running Server 2.2.1. An 2.2.2 update came out a while ago, but we didn't update right away. Now it appears to be no longer available. I see it in my App store purchases with an option to click update. But when I click update I get an App Store 1004 error.

If you click on the Server 2.2.2 link in my app store purchases it says not available in this store right now.

So is the only option for Mountain Lion Server updates Mavericks and 3.0x Server ?

I've tried more than one sever and more than one Apple ID.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 2:37 PM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2013 9:58 AM in response to keg55

Yes I've thought of that. For what I'm working on at the moment I may just go to 10.9 and 3.0x

But this doesn't give me a lot of confidence about the 50 10.8.4 servers I have out there running 2.2.1.

Does this mean no more updates for the 2.x series of server app ?

I've been doing OS X server since 10.2 and this is the first time I've ever seen an update just disappear.

If I wanted to build another 10.8 server I would have to copy that 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 app file from somewhere else at this point.

Nov 19, 2013 10:07 AM in response to recorbin

recorbin wrote:

Yes I've thought of that. For what I'm working on at the moment I may just go to 10.9 and 3.0x

But this doesn't give me a lot of confidence about the 50 10.8.4 servers I have out there running 2.2.1.

Does this mean no more updates for the 2.x series of server app ?

I've been doing OS X server since 10.2 and this is the first time I've ever seen an update just disappear.

If I wanted to build another 10.8 server I would have to copy that 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 app file from somewhere else at this point.

Be careful going to 10.9/OS X Server 3.0.1. There are various issues that some folks are having. Mostly VPN issues with the 3.0.x VPN service. I would setup a Test Lab Server for Mavericks/OS X Server 3 before going into a production environment.

I don't know if OS X Server 2.x.x is done with updates. 2.2.2 is the most current for that server.app at the moment.

You're right. Setting up another ML Server would require 2.x.x of OS X Server. You would be able to use one from one of your current ML servers.Version 3/3.0.1 is not compatible with ML.

Nov 29, 2013 7:37 PM in response to keg55

Isn't this all just astounding?!?

I thought part of the purpose of the Apple Store was to hold the common versions of softare so people could redownload when needed, thus making CD/DVDs unnecessary. Now Apple just removes them when they decide we no longer need them. Geesh. One more reason to maintain our own software respositories. Unfortunately, I had not updated mine with the 2.2.2. app so when I lost the boot drives, I now cannot get 2.2.2 from the store; Hopefully I can get it out of my backups since I had not updated my other server either.

To recap:

- Roll out of Mavericks/Server 3 pretty much botched

- Current working versions (i.e., ML/2.2.2) not supported

- Only available Server.app from store not compatible with ML

- No clear way provided by Apple to migrate ML/2.2.2 service data to a Mavericks/3.0 system

- Another major revamp of how postgresql/service data is managed going from 10.8/2.2.2. to 10.9/3.0.

- Limited useful documentation.

Sigh....I guess I'll spend another full day tomorrow trying to get this server back online. 😠

Dec 16, 2013 7:42 PM in response to recorbin

Correct, it is still not available for me. I have tried on three different 10.8 servers, two of which are running 2.2.1 and one of which is running 2.2.2. The 2.2.1 servers all say there are no updates available for server, and the 2.2.2 server says the application is no longer avaialable on the App Store.

I submitted a support case with the server team, and we have a call scheduled for tomorrow.

Apr 29, 2014 12:18 PM in response to recorbin

This whole thing is ridiculous. Apple is becoming more microsoftian than microsoft. I am stuck at 2.2 and unable to download it again or the update. I've written my Apple Engineer to get a copy. I've come to hate the app store for these restrictions and PITA nonsense. I want to be able to download what I need when I need it not fight with a ******** automatic system that fails. It was bought and paid for and I have a right to access it.

Next step is bittorrent and hackerboards.

Has the Server App 2.2.2 Update vanished ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.