Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic brightness not dimming

My iPad won't dim the screen when the automatic brightness setting is on. It brightens the screen when in a well lit area but when it's in a dark area it won't dim. It forces me to manually adjust it every time. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm running iOS 7.0.4.

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 4:30 PM

The screen won't dim until the screen is locked/unlocked. This prevents the undesirable dimming that would occur every time your hand or other object covered the light sensor.

12 replies

Dec 5, 2013 12:21 PM in response to spark352

Hey I'm having the same issue I'm so confused I don't even know if it's hardware or software cause I've been looking it up and rarely seen any and I've called apple and they said its strange and could be software or hardware cause it should dim on its own as well as increases

But my iPad air 32gb dosent decrease brightness only increases

Dec 5, 2013 8:57 PM in response to JimHdk

took it to the apple store they told me it was working fine, but then once they compared it to a model in their store they saw that my ipad air wasnt dimming how it was suppose to and hows theirs was so they then told me that it was a hardware defect and now i just came home with a brand new ipad air i did an exhcange ... and this one is actually dimming and working how its suppose to

Feb 19, 2014 3:24 PM in response to JimHdk

Hi there,

Are you sure this is so? I face the same problem (?) and haven't got much help from Apple. They say it should dim itself. I' vet noticed what you said about locking/unlocking the screen and it is as you said. But the again when you go indoors from outdoors should it not dim itself? My iPhone 5s does that by itself. On the contrary my iPad air and iPad mini do not. I am confused and would like to avoid returning the device and start investigating a ghost issue. Can you support your view with evidence. Also are you an iPad air user yourself? Thank you for your time.

Automatic brightness not dimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.