Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changes appearing in finished project...

I have finished a few projects and shared/exported the videos from them.

But I just sat back down to my computer and was surprised to see orange bars above the timeline indicating the need to render. I had used the "Render All" command before sharing/exporting the videos, and the orange line was gone. Now it's back, but I haven't made any changes to the project.

Worse yet, I there are many available "Undo" command stages that I can use to undo things, but I don't know what it's undoing. If I undo things, I don't see any changes occurring in my project. And I don't think I've made any changes to it since I last closed and reopened FCPX. Nobody else has access to my iMac, so I don't see how anything could have been changed.

This really concerns me because I'm afraid there are changes to the project that I might not notice if I ever go to use it again. I seem to recall having this happen before.

(1) Anyone know what might cause this?

(2) Shouldn't the Undo history be cleared any time you quit and restart FCPX?

(3) Is there any way to lock a project so you don't accidentally make changes to it?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), i7 3.5 GHz, 32MB RAM, 4GB NVIDIA

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 6:55 PM

14 replies

Nov 22, 2013 8:27 AM in response to JDLee

JDLee wrote:

(2) Shouldn't the Undo history be cleared any time you quit and restart FCPX?

Yes.

JDLee wrote:

(3) Is there any way to lock a project so you don't accidentally make changes to it?

You can (and should) version projects by using the Duplicate Project command.

What you're describing shouldn't be happening. I think Innocentius' advice to trash and reinstall the app is good advice.

Russ

Nov 22, 2013 8:37 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ--

Oh, I think I misunderstood what Innocentius said. I thought he said he was deleting the render files and uninstalling and reinstalling FCPX every time (which seemed excessive).

I'm willing to trash the app and reinstall, but I haven't done that before. Coming from a Windows background, the idea of uninstalling software always seems problematic to me. I wonder if it's going to leave remnants behind and cause problems.

Is trashing FCPX and reinstalling an easy thing to do? Is it trouble-free, or risky? How do you trash and reinstall it (especially given there are no product disks any more? To trash, what exactly do I drag to the trash?

Thanks

Nov 22, 2013 9:03 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably use the FCS Remover. How do you reinstall after you do that, though? Do you have to go to the App Store and download it again (which I presume is free)?

Does deleting FCPX with FCS Remover get rid of your Events and Projects folders? I do have backups of my events and projects, but I don't want to go through transferring them from other disks.

Are there other settings or changes I might have made that I'd want to backup to reinstall after I reinstall FCPX?

Nov 22, 2013 9:23 AM in response to JDLee

Innocentius would be a better person to address that. I haven't sen those kind of bugs since early versions.

But I certainly have removed and reinstalled FCPX (and Motion and Compressor) quite a number of other times for other reasons on a number of different systems.

If things work as they should, you shouldn't ever have to do it – just updates and upgrades as available.

Russ

Nov 23, 2013 12:44 AM in response to innocentius

I now think my rendering problem is related to something else. It seems to be happening only with a few problematic compound clips in one particular project (only those clips show as unrendered every time I close and reopen FCPX). I posted separately about the problems I'm having with those compound clips https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5576245.

I don't think I'll ever figure out what I did wrong with those clips, but it can't be a coincidence that they are the only parts of the project that aren't rendering every time. The media for them had been in a separate event. Although I managed to shoe-horn them into the event I wanted them in, something about how I did that must have caused this rendering issue.

Nov 23, 2013 5:29 AM in response to JDLee

That is interesting JD. I opened a project that I worked on some month ago, and there was a compound clip that refused to render, I split it up and it did not render either. Just that one clip, the only option was to remove it. In a project that I am working on now there is no such problem. As you say I guess that I to will never find out why.

Changes appearing in finished project...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.