Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i tansfer music off ipod classic to itunes?

I have a 40 GB iPod classic that is almost at capacity with music. The original computer, PowerBook, that it was used with is no longer. I now have a newer Mac, MacBook, and want to put the music from my iPod into the iTunes library. When I plug the iPod into the comuter I can see it in iTunes but cannot drag the music from the iPod into the iTunes library. For the record this is all music that I own on CD and put it onto my older Mac PowerBook, none of it was purchased on iTunes. I do not want to go through the process of uploading all those cds again, most might not even exist anymore.

How do I get my music on my newer computer?

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 7:05 PM

9 replies

Feb 16, 2017 11:50 AM in response to mh870509

mh870509 wrote:

SO HOW DO YOU UTILIZE THESE FILES ONCE THE OLD IPOD IS DISCONNECTED FROM THE COMPUTER? IT IS SAYING THE ORIGINAL FILE COULD NOT BE FOUND. ONCE I CONNECT THE OLD IPOD IT WORKS FINE....HELP HELP HELP!

I know this is old but you would have probably needed to consolidate the library.

A more detailed account is given in Recover media from an iPod.

tt2

Feb 19, 2017 3:28 AM in response to lesliejade85

I suspect the reason that it didn't work for mh870509 was that they had the option to Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to the library turned off, meaning that iTunes will have created references to the files on the iPod rather than making copies, and was thus unable to play the tracks once the device was disconnected. The user tip Recover media from an iPod sets out a very similar recovery method to the one satmar yoely gave but with a bit more detail for those that need it, and an eye to some of the possible pitfalls.

tt2

Nov 20, 2013 8:52 PM in response to turingtest2

if u use a windows then go control panel/folder optios and select view hidden files. now go to my computer and open your ipod go to ipod control/music now select all folders make a right click/properties unselect the hidden box select the option for subfolder to, now go to itunes/file/add folder and select all folder from f00 till f49 then open , and you now transfer all your music from your ipod to itunes

can i tansfer music off ipod classic to itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.