Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running OS 9.1 on a sawtooth G4 just now making the leap to OS X!

I am so lost on where to begin to upgrade my sidekick MAC. It's primarily used for music production with older Cubase software, (no internet or other programs are used on this computer). But out of necessity, I need to upgrade to OS X. Please help. I upgraded the processor with a Newer Tech piece from Other World Computing in 2011 but haven't used it in the OSX environment. I bought Panther disc onlne but it doesn't boot up. I'm told i may have to take baby steps and start with 9.2 then go from there, can anyone help. yeah I know I'm decades late, but I've never had a problem with my software or my Mac doing just what I needed it to do. Any suggestions

PowerMac, Older MAc G4 733 with new processor

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 8:26 PM

2 replies

Nov 19, 2013 7:27 AM in response to melodiou

The update to 9.2.2 can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1387

Start with that.

Did you get a proper Panther disk, that is the universal installer with a Silver X on a black background? If you've gotten a hardware specific grey disk, it will not boot unless it is for the exact same mac model.

I suspect you may be facing that issue, as a G4 with a 733 CPU should be able to boot up that Panther disk no problem.. HOWEVER.. Panther is quite limited and the better bet is to find a budget installation of Tiger on CD, as that is the best-last OSX version (10.4.11) for the older G4 macs. (I have Tiger on a livingroom audio-box that is used to rip vinyl) Tiger ALSO allows you to 'classic boot' to OS9 applications if need be.

Nov 19, 2013 11:20 AM in response to melodiou

You have to do the firmware update from OS 9 before installing OS X in any flavor.

Tiger CDs are expensive and hard to find (I know from experience), and have four in the set. Panther has three CDs, if memory serves, so if you only got one, it could well be a machine specific grey disk and will not work. I went from OS 9 in a 533 Digital Audio to Panther with no problem, so your computer shouldn't even burp at Panther.

You also need to check out the RAM in your computer. If it's a real Sawtooth, I believe it will hold 2 full gigs of memory, vs. 1.5 gigs in the later Digital Audio and Quicksilver models. Panther doesn't take much, but the more the better.

Running OS 9.1 on a sawtooth G4 just now making the leap to OS X!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.