Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch between panels of same app on mac? command tab will switch between panels of different apps. is there a shortcut to do so when having more than one panel for the same app? (e.g.: switching between 3 documents opened using Preview app)

How to switch between panels of same app on mac?

command+tab will switch between panels of different apps. is there a shortcut to do so when having more than one panel for the same app? (e.g.: switching between 3 documents opened using Preview app)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 10:30 AM

Try CMD - '<' for the German keyboard layout or look up what is defined under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and select "Keyboard" in list on the left, then look for "Move focus to next window".

24 replies

Nov 18, 2013 11:01 PM in response to mahernemer

There's no shortcut to do what you want to do.

However, you can enable Exposé to show all the windows of an app with a hot corner or trackpad gesture.

To enable it as a hot corner, open System Preferences > Mission Control > Hot Corners, select one of the corners and choose "Application Windows". Then, move the cursor to the selected corner to show all windows of the app.

You can also use a trackpad gesture. Open System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures, and mark "App Exposé".

User uploaded file

Nov 25, 2013 2:34 AM in response to mahernemer

This ain't work with multiple windows in Mavericks.

For example, I have Firefox on main screen and Firebug opened in different window on second screen.

When I switch by [cmd+tab] to other app in other space on main screen, then I want to switch back to Firefox, press [cmd+tab] and... OSX focuses me on Firebug window on second screen! And [cmd + tilda] doesn't work, if app's windows on different spaces.

Now, to open main Firefox window, I must use trackpad, must open Mission Control, then select my main space, then again switch to Firefox by [cmd+tab]. It's annoying.

Please, fix!

Sep 13, 2015 3:03 AM in response to mahernemer

I am using a Swedish keyboard and did this to fix the issue. Should work on other non-US keyboards, too!

There IS a shortcut to switch between windows, however - the assigned shortcut did not work, so I decided to change the shortcut instead. Believe me, it is easier than it sounds 😀 This is how it goes:

• Open "System Preferences" (the grey icon) from the program menu on the bottom of your screen -> click "View all" -> Keyboard
  • Open Shortcuts-tab once the Keyboard is open. You should be presented with a list of shortcuts.
  • Click on the "Keyboard" again on the left side of the window (Mac tends to open "Mission Control" as a default)
  • You should see another list of shortcuts. Choose "Move focus to another Window" from that list and click on the assigned shortcut of that line in the end - it will allow you to type now
  • Type in your preferred shortcut. My recommendation: just retype the one there is and do that by holding down your Apple (CMD) button and clicking ~ tilde (the key above tab key on your keyboard, has a paragraph symbol on it in the Swedish keyboard - it's left from the 1 key on your keyboard). You should now see ⌘ˇ there, just as before - but this time it'll actually work!).
  • You can close the system preferences and try it out

Now you have a situation where you can hold down the CMD/Apple key and click tab to switch between programs, and you can also switch between active windows within a program just by clicking CMD and the "paragraph" key just above the tab-key).

Alternatively, you can choose a shortcut that works for you - I find it faster to work with if switching between programs and switching within programs are close together on my keyboard (tab and ~ are on top of each other).

Hope it solves the issue for at least some of you 🙂

How to switch between panels of same app on mac? command tab will switch between panels of different apps. is there a shortcut to do so when having more than one panel for the same app? (e.g.: switching between 3 documents opened using Preview app)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.