Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoshop CC having display driver issues on Mavericks

Hi all,

Since I upgraded to Mavericks, from time to time Photoshop CC complains about the display driver and disables all GPU tasks.

I never had this on the previous OSX version. And other Adobe apps (Illustrator, InDesign) don't complain about it.

I even use Cinema 4D on a regular basis, and there are no display driver issues whatsoever.

Quiting Photoshop and restarting it seems to solve the issue in many occasions, or restart the Mac.

This issue only occurs on my iMac 24" (late 2009) which has a NVidia GeForce 9400 graphics card with 256 MB of VRAM.

My MacBook Pro (mid 2010) has a NVidia GT 330M graphics card also with 256 MB VRAM, and there Photoshop never complains.

The Adobe site is no help at all; all they say is update your driver (can't find any driver update on NVidia site).

Is there a way to tell Mavericks to minimize VRAM usage for OS, so that it will only be avaible to Photoshop.

OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMac 24" (2009 model) 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Memory

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 8:06 AM

I have an early 2009 24" Mac with Nvidia GT 130 graphics card.

I have had Photoshop CC installed for some time.

Since the upgrade to Mavericks I always get the following message on launching Photoshop:

Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has

temporarily disabled enhancements which use the graphics software.

Check the manufacturer's website for the latest software

For more information visit

http://www.adobe.com/go/photoshop_gpu_uk

Of course the link is no help at all and neithe Apple nor Adobe website seem to acknowledge the problem.

Am I alone in this?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2013 8:06 AM in response to Toon61

I have an early 2009 24" Mac with Nvidia GT 130 graphics card.

I have had Photoshop CC installed for some time.

Since the upgrade to Mavericks I always get the following message on launching Photoshop:

Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has

temporarily disabled enhancements which use the graphics software.

Check the manufacturer's website for the latest software

For more information visit

http://www.adobe.com/go/photoshop_gpu_uk

Of course the link is no help at all and neithe Apple nor Adobe website seem to acknowledge the problem.

Am I alone in this?

Dec 30, 2013 3:43 PM in response to Toon61

I'm having the same issue. I'm using a Macbook Pro early 2008 with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB. Bridge seems to be an issue as well. It seems better when Photoshop CC is the only app running. I've experienced some very heavy slow downs. I increased the PS CC memory allocation to 80%, that helped a bit. But it is definitely a major pain to only use one app at a time these days.

Nov 8, 2015 9:19 PM in response to Toon61

I've got the same issue with my 2009 Macbook Pro. It runs everything I need besides photoshop, just fine. But alas, this and I'm sure other unsupported hardware will soon force me to spend another year's savings on a new macbook pro. Apple and Adobe have let me down over and over, but alas, being a graphic designer, I cannot switch. Its just industry standard, period. (I not so secretly hope someone can convince me otherwise)

Just wanted to share the pain, and this little tidbit from the Adobe CS6 GPU FAQ:

"Note: ATI X1000 series and nVidia 7000 series cards are no longer being tested and are not officially supported in Photoshop CS6. However, some basic GL functionality can be available for both these cards."

Oh, ok, thanks. I may no longer pay for your products Adobe.

Meh.

Photoshop CC having display driver issues on Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.