Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new tags disappear in Mavericks

Started using Mavericks and now all the files I had as tagged in a colour show a coloured dot, but any new ones I create show the dot for a couple of seconds then it disappears - any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 2:20 AM

11 replies

Jan 5, 2014 11:53 PM in response to Sir_Mary

I have the same issue. I have a lot of pdfs and when click the document name in Preview I can change the file name and tags. Changing the file name seems to work as it should, I've not noticed any problems. The first tag (or sometimes part of a tag) I enter frequently disappears, as if the field were reset. Entering the tag again works, the "reset" only seems to happen once. I have wondered, but have not made the time to prove, that this happens usually after I've just changed the file name.

Apr 16, 2014 2:50 AM in response to Sir_Mary

Was there ever a resolution to this problem? I am having this same issue since upgrading to Mavericks. I'm a professional academic whose work depends heavily on tags and while I'm still able to use tags and apply them, this repeating malfunction is causing a lot of headaches and adding unnecessary time to my simple renaming/retagging workflow.

Any new insight, several months later?

I never ever have had PathFinder installed.

Thanks!

May 4, 2014 10:31 PM in response to Sir_Mary

I don't know what Path Finder is, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with it. I have a brand new Mac mini with factory installed Mavericks 10.9.2 and I see this issue happening. The tags do not disappear after a few seconds. The tags are correctly showing even after a day or two. But then suddenly they just disappear.

For example, I just woke up my mini from sleep and I noticed that my tag I added to a specific folder a day ago is gone. I'm not saying ithas anything to do with the Mac going to sleep because I've seen tags being gone even when the Mac wasn't sleeping.

Oct 6, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Sir_Mary

For two years, now, Apple has paid no attention to the multitude of users' complaints on the replacement of Labels with tiny little dots in Finder. Now, with the integration of System Integrity Protection (SIP) in El Capitan, two neat little apps that restored Labels (XtraFinder and Total Finder) have been rendered probably forever incompatible. It's time to bombard Apple with requests for the reinstatement of Labels. Remember when Apple thought eliminating "Save As..." was a good idea? Give Apple a piece of your mind here http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

new tags disappear in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.