Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reviving titanium G4 and need some help

Rather than buy a new mac I'm reviving my titanium G4 so I can use the ibook Author app.

Years ago, I fliped it to OS X (both OS9 and X are installed) after that the system would not boot up.

1 -how can I get my documents off the hd? and 2, after I get my docs, I am reformatting the hd...how high of OS can I re-install on it?

thanks in advance

PowerBook, Other OS, Titanium G4, M7952LL/A 400Mhz

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 4:20 AM

1 reply

Nov 21, 2013 12:38 AM in response to akallenberg

Highest (officially) supported Mac OS X is Tiger 10.4.11, for a G4 Mac below 867 MHz. You won't be able to run any recent app that requires an Intel-based Mac. It is also downloaded from Mac App Store, which requires at least Snow Leopard (10.6), and the app may require at an even later release.

"Writing" is an activity that the TiBook can handle easily, but just not with that app. If you want to use iBooks Author, you'll need a much more recent Mac.

One way to offload your files, even if it does not boot, as long as the hardware is not broken, is to use FireWire Target Disk Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

You'll need another Mac that has a FireWire port, or a Thunderbolt port converted to FireWire. In FireWire Target Disk Mode, your PowerBook acts like an external drive that you can connect to another Mac. That other Mac reads and copies off your files.

reviving titanium G4 and need some help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.