Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to Downgrade to Keynote 5 (09)

I have a new computer. We utilize Keynote for multiday classes. These are very large, intricate presentations.

Keynote 6 does not work on many different levels.

I need to install keynote 5 (09) on the new computer. I noticed that you no longer can install the older version of Keynote on the App store.

Anyone know of a way to get the older version of Keynote?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 5:35 AM

19 replies

Nov 21, 2013 8:01 AM in response to PagosaGlen

Hi PagesaGlen,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

Did you migrate your User Account or restore from a Time Machine backup to get the information from your old computer to your new computer?

If so, the iWork '09 application should still be in the Applications folder.

About the new iWork for Mac: Features and compatibility

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049

In the meanwhile, you can continue to use these features by accessing the previous versions of the iWork applications which remain installed on your Mac. The previous versions can be found in Applications > iWork ’09.

Reverting documents created in the new iWork for Mac applications to the previous version’s file format

New or existing documents you open in the new versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote use the new unified file format. These files can’t be opened in the previous versions of the iWork applications. To revert the document file format to the previous version, you can do one of the following:

Documents that you haven't edited can be reverted to the iWork ’09 version by selecting File > Revert To.

If you have edited the document and want to preserve the edits, you can save it as an iWork ’09 document by selecting File > Export To, then choosing Pages ’09, Numbers ’09, or Keynote ’09.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Nov 26, 2013 1:03 PM in response to PagosaGlen

Regarding migrating old laptop to new one, I wanted a fresh install with this computer. So I did not have the Keynote 09 on this one.

I ended up doing was copying the Keynote 09 app from old laptop and put it in the new one.

That works for the most part. With the exception that when running it, Keynote would crash about times in any one given day. Makes me look very unprofessional.

The company I own invested massive amounts of money changing our powerpoint presentations over to keynote about 4 years ago. I can honestely say that was a costly and blunderous decision on my part.

Nov 26, 2013 5:08 PM in response to PagosaGlen

Hi PagosaGlan

I am unhappy to see that I am not the only corporate uber-user stung this problem. Any effort you make to reinstall 09 (5.3) will be worth the effort. Luckily you can do that on the laptop. I have purposely not installed 6.0 along side, becuase if you have both and hit OPEN to open a file, the file will default to 6.0 and be be overwritten, corrupting it forever. The problems is dramatically worse on the iPad. The day I bought my AIR, the new version of iWorks came out and the previous version was summarily pulled. Now I cannot access the earlier version. If you create a presentation on 6.0 (2.0 on the iPad), it WILL NOT OPEN BY ANYONE WHO HAS NOT UPGRADED TO THIS FAULTY 6.0 PROGRAM. So if you were my cleint and I created a program on 5.3, you would get a message that that you cannot open it I cannot insist that my corporate clients upgrade to open programs I create for them. I have been touch with Apple's senior team and the word is that it will be upwards of six months until the fixes are in. For the first time in about 7 years, I am telling corporate clients to use PowerPoint. (I have 500 or so presentatinos and I cannot risk them being converted to 6.0). I am speaking nationally next week and will regrettably telling the audience to stick with 5.3 or move over to the PowerPoint, which I hate but not as much as I hate the new Keynote. My advice.... find an old copy of 5.3 (see if you can buy one on eBay if you must). And do not load the new on your iPhone or iPad (or do not upgrade from 1.7 7o 2.0 if you have the earlier version). If there is any way I help, let me know. Be well. Chuck

Nov 27, 2013 8:23 AM in response to PagosaGlen

Sadly, you are good company. It appears that the commitment to corporate/business users has diminished. The principal reason for not keeping 6.0 on your computer is the possibility of inadvertantly clicking on a 5.3 file, which as of this moment still seems to open up in 6.0, thereby condemning that file to a untoward future. I may be posting some advice to my business clients on my site ..mypointprecisely.com. Check every so often, or email me and I can notify you if any of my chats with the senior team at Appple produces any patydirt or workarounds.

Mar 6, 2014 5:03 AM in response to highlowedstudio

downgrade to 1.7 once 2.0 is installed? Help...

If your referring to Keynote, the latest version is 6.1, the previous was 5.3.

There is no version 1.7 and 2 was released in 2005 which wont run on any recent Macs.

You will need to explain in much more detail your OS and correct Keynote versions

go to Keynote > About Keynote to find the correct version on your Mac.

Mar 6, 2014 6:18 AM in response to Gary Scotland

From my discussion s months ago with Apple.... 2.0 is the iPad version number (comparable to 6.0) and 1.7 is the iPad version for the 5.3 iteration. While it is possible to run both 5.3 and 6 on the Mac, Apple (unless it has changed n the past month) does not permit both versions on the iPad, and once 2.0 came into the App store, 1.7 was withdrawn. I see you post here quie a bit. Should you hear that Apple has come up with suitable upgrades, any word you post would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 6, 2014 8:02 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Gary...

Thank you for your note. Indeed, the current version of Keynote has been a disappointment. I have hundreds of programs created for myself and clients... Keynote had been such a wonderful and fleixble tool. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that Apple (in its attempt to provide a focus for the casual user), has abandoned the needs of the high-end professional user. So many of the more cutting edge approaches I have cme up with to push the limits of 5.3 just cannot be done (or done easily) with 6.0. Apple seems to be slow (if not just disinterested) in fixing these. So on my Mac I stick with 5.3 for now. I do not use my iPad for the mroe sophisticted visual programs I have created. You seem to be an uber-user s well. If there is a way through this site to allow us to email off line, I would be interested in chatting to see if my work and yours align.

Mar 6, 2014 8:16 AM in response to Keynoteworthy

I am in the same boat and could agree with you more. Apple is now run by accountants instead of visionaries. Apple makes most of its profit off of iPhones so they have abandoned the computer side of the house. They will realize soon without the loyalty of the computer user and the obvious lack of inventiveness into the new iPhones, apple will return to their 1990's lack of profit. Please Apple, please tell us weather you plan on fixing the new keynote to make all the old features work. If I hear nothing I will assume the answer us no and will need to change back to a computer maker instead if a phone manufacture.

Mar 6, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Keynoteworthy

Thank you all for your help. We have a long history of working with Keynote and delivering surprising rich and deep interactive presentation tools for our clients that they take in the field and present with their iPad. Its been a remarkable success and a true testment to the power of Keynote. Keynote has been a remarkable tool for prototyping throughout the indudtry and its shocking that Apple, who is well awre of all of this industry support opted to make the application less robust rather than more powerful and not foward compatible. Apple this is so completely not how you do things...what happened? I does feel like another jump the shark moment for Apple's professional user client base. Its very sad that they clearly have calculated the return on this part of their customer base and decided to migarte their energies to the masses. Is it not possible to do both? We'll see.

I did find a work around to our problem. How do you back-grade iosKeynote 2.2 to 1.7 on your iPad once you've mistakenly upgraded and didn't realize that the new Keynote is a complete piece of @#$% and your file you've been deveolping over the last many months will no longer run without crashing...and you've promise to your client they'd have their presentation tomorrow? Here is the link that helped us reinstall successfully. Its not the answer but if your in the same sad position I was in last night perhaps you'll find your answer here:

http://www.themobilepresenter.com/article.php/reinstalling-older-ios-app

Mar 6, 2014 8:43 AM in response to PagosaGlen

PG...

It is indeed stunning. I spoke with some senior Apple people back in November. I was disappointed that they seemeed (1) not to be so concerned about the professional and corporate user, especially those of us who have been out there writing, consulting, lecturing....and pushing the limits of Keynote as powerful communications technology.... and (2) that they woud not considerr the simple fix of letting Keynote 5.3 (1.7 on theiPad) and 6.0 (2.0 on the iPad) both run side by side. While that is possible on the Mac, it is not permitted on the iPad. It would have been a simple accommodation and allowed people like me (and many others) to conitinue to use sophisticated program on both platforms while they enhance their new technology.. Their promise of a fix has gone unanswered. I see their interest in making both platforms compataible, but they could have done it without inconveniencing (and in some cases crippling) power users, but giving a choice of version of the iPad. This is a case of hubris, and ithe positin seems to be held streadfastly by Apple for no other reason than they, well, can). For the first time in a decade, I am not telling my corporate and institutional clients to reconsider PowerPoint. Apple is indeed losing some of its most ardent and loyal supporters. I fear that our cries are falling on deaf ears, evidenced by APPLE'S failure to repond to the pleas of those of us who were blindsided and knee-capped by the downgrade. This was once an admirable program. As an aside, I have already moved two of my clients back to PPT because their programs no llonger work on Keynote.

Mar 6, 2014 8:58 AM in response to highlowedstudio

Hey highlowedstudio.

Thanks for the note. That is a good ideea for restoration, however herein is the rub: Unless there is a previous version of Keynote (1.7) loaded (or purchased and living in iTunes), users are out-of-luck. I bought an iPad in November, sadly the very very week of the transiton from 1.7 to 2.0... so when I ordered my iPad, 1.7 was available... when it arrived, 1.7 had been removed and 2.0 only was the only option. So since I never owned 1.7, Apple told me it was not possible for me to acquire it. I pleaded with Apple to see if there was away to get me a version of 1.7. They said no. I fear they are completely in the dark about the problems they have caused for serious users. And they seem not to have this on their list of priorities (or even sensitivities). I do not post much to these forums, but I do publish and speak quite extensively about role of technology in business communication. I have been public about the disappointment and for the first time in a deacde, I am actually telling clients to reconsider PPT. Best to you in your efforts.

Need to Downgrade to Keynote 5 (09)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.