Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to upload a dictionary generated for the XOS Dictionary App to the hidden dictionary app of iPad or iPhone, respectively?

Dear All,

I started to generate on my MacBook, with the Tools provided with XCode 5, to generate a dictionary for the Dictionary App which runs fine on my Max OSX machines. Now I wonder if there is a way to upload the dictionary to the hidden dictionary app of iOS to use the dictionary on iPad and iPhone via the "define"-option of highlighted words. All of curse under the assumption both applications use the same dictionary formate, what I guess since both outputs look very similar. The hidden app of iOS downloads dictionaries somehow from iCloud as the cloud symbol suggests. But does anyone know how to upload dictionaries to there e.g. from a MacBook to be able to download it subsequently with iPad or iPhone in the "manage"-Mode of the hidden dictionary app?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Juergen

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), future App for iOS?

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 7:06 AM

15 replies

Apr 14, 2014 4:26 PM in response to jukoepke

I am having a very frustrating time with this as well. I was able to add a spanish-english dictionary on my new macbook pro with mavericks, but I can't figure out how to get it onto my ipad. I am trying to make it work in ibooks so I can quickly read and define new words on the fly. Any word on a solution to this? Is this elsewhere in another thread? I can't find anything.

Apr 14, 2014 5:00 PM in response to bobseufert

Thanks for trying though. The problem isn't how to use the system they've presented us with, it's with it's alterability. It seems like the kind of thing that should be easy to do, since the list they offer in the built in add-on options is very small. It would be a major perk for language students to be able to read books in other languages and have access to a translation dictionary.

Apr 15, 2014 3:26 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thx. I tried using this app, as I do have .dict file of the library I want to add, but it seems to just be the same type of deal that comes built into ios7. An extra list of similar offerings, but no apparent way to customize and actually add something. If I'm just missing something obvious please let me know. I'd love to use it if someone knows how to make it work.

Apr 18, 2014 1:29 PM in response to jukoepke

SOLVED!!!!!

This is the app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dictionary.appender/id650562573?mt=8

I emailed the maker of the app and he said to just follow these instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4094

File share the .dictionary file to your ipad and then add it from the list of addable languages. It took a minute for it to show up on my ipad but it DID work. It is working with iBooks.

Happy reading.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Is there a way to upload a dictionary generated for the XOS Dictionary App to the hidden dictionary app of iPad or iPhone, respectively?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.