Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select or restore file from Time Machine

I've been using Time Machine to back up my MacBook Pro -- first in Lion, now in Mavericks.

Backups seem to work fine -- no errors, etc. I can browse the "Star Wars" display in TM. Unfortunately, I can't do anything else with them.

Clicking on a file does not select it. Since no file is selected, "Restore" is greyed out.

Help?

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 7:51 AM

27 replies

Nov 27, 2013 3:22 PM in response to db24401

No, not really. The 4th step:

"If you need more information about an item, double-click to preview it.The windows in Time Machine behave just like Finder windows, so you can open folders, click items in the sidebar, and use the search field in the upper-right corner of the window."

That's the part that doesn't really work. You can't click the items, or double click, or use the search, etc.

Nov 29, 2013 12:31 AM in response to OrangeCountyFL

I've been having this problem too, but think I have found a solution.. It seems to be a bug with Mavericks and its support for dual displays.

When entering Time Machine my Finder windows were on my 2nd display but the Star Wars screen of TM always opens on the primary screen. If however I move the Finder onto the primary screen and then enter Time Machine I am able to slect things within the Time Machine display as I should be able to.

Give it a go and see if that works for you (assuming of course that you have dual monitors).

Al.

Can't select or restore file from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.