Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get text to flow from one page to the next in Pages 5?

How do I get text to flow from one page to the next in Pages 5 with the Maverick system?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 8:01 AM

40 replies

Jan 5, 2017 5:49 PM in response to iRon_Mrx

iRon

A Postscript on my story above.

My son took up the position of Head Chef in the cafe/restaurant mentioned and was basically not allowed to change anything by the duplicitious owner who was all talk and no action. After repeatedly trying to make even minor changes and being blocked by the owner, he was ready to just walk away but I persuaded him to hang on a bit and walk away on his own terms.

He is doing that now to a completely new venture where he can make a difference, and make a whole lot more money.

In that same time I have bought a touch screen Windows laptop/tablet and whilst it has been a struggle, I have now got it running multiple Operating Systems comparing the good and bad in all.

This is a much larger world than the small corners into which we often paint ourselves arguing that there is no choice, when in fact there is.

Peter

Nov 19, 2013 8:33 AM in response to fruhulda

I am working in a document that was created with the previous version of Pages. In that document, the text flowed from page to page. When I opened the template the links no longer worked. I don't know if I am writing in the text layer or text boxes. Judging from how it is working, I would guess text boxes. Showing my ignorance.... what is the difference in "text layers" and "text boxes?"

Nov 19, 2013 8:55 AM in response to NeyR

Text boxes are boxes you add to the document and write in. You can change the size of the box and prior to Pages 5.0 you can link them so the text flows between the boxes. This is the only way to write text in a Page layout document. In Word processing document the area between the margins is the text layer where you can write and the text will flow automatically over to a new page if needed.

Pages 5.0 has the text layer and also text boxes but the boxes can't be linked.

You would be better of if you used Pages 09 instead of Pages 5 for you older documents. Use Pages 5 only documents you need to also use over the iCloud.

Jan 9, 2014 7:46 AM in response to ARCTOS Inspector

Everytime I see an update from Apple, or them talking about what they will do, instead of talking about what they have done, I miss Steve. It is as if no one cares enough, or is smart enough to get it right.

I am in the middle of a multi-year project that includes newsletters requiring linked text. This feature is essential. Does anyone know if they plan to bring it back. I am moving back to older software and older OSs and telling my staff to avoid all upgrades unless the upgrade is absolutely needed. The consequences of moving to newer, when what you have is good enough, simply isn't worth it.

When is the six month deadline to get the old features back? Or was that just Apples new way of stalling and hoping a problem will go away?

While they are adding features back, how about adding export to HTML. That would be very helpful.

Jan 9, 2014 8:27 AM in response to Terrence R. Redding

The six months is just for a short list of not very consequential features.

Apple is certainly hoping we will give and stop caring. At that point it may be because we have given up on Apple and stopped buying Macs.

Seems like the drift to iOS will be a self fulfilling prophecy of carrot and stick. We'll walk away from Macs because they won't be worth bothering with.

Peter

Jan 19, 2014 5:54 AM in response to NeyR

What may be overlooked in Pages v5 is the notion of combining Text Boxes via the Menu > View > Show Arrange Tools. When you select two Text Boxes, an extra panel unfolds at the bottom of the Arrange Tools window. Uncheck one Text Box and this panel abruptly disappears.

User uploaded file

One can achieve text flow effects between Text Boxes differently based on how one positions the Text Box overlap, and choice of effect above. Though not the accustomed flow found in Pages ’09 v4.3, flow does occur. Consider the possibilities of combining a Shape and a Text box to cut an irregular Text box.

If I create two Text Boxes and position them side by side with outline touching and choose Unite, this creates one larger Text Box and text flows across and down. On the otherhand, if I overlap the upper left corner of a lower Text Box over one above and to the left, then choose Union, pasted text fills the first Text Box and then flows across and down into the other box. Here is a Union example:

User uploaded file

Intersect will leave a small Text Box where the two overlap, so not much value there. Subtract will cut a chunk out of one Text Box that is the size of the overlapping piece of the second Text Box:

User uploaded file

And Intersect will leave an island in the center where the two Text Box overlap, with flow jumping over this bridge.

User uploaded file

Clearly, this is not what we were accustomed to in the past, but with imagination, style, and layout tuning, it does offer alternative Text Box creativity and layout. Of course, there is the option of simply returning to the previous Pages version for true Text Box linking that most will want to use.

Jan 19, 2014 6:09 AM in response to VikingOSX

I wouldn't belabor that point Hagar.

Whilst it is interesting to be able to enter text in a shape, you could do that in Pages '09.

What you can't do, and there is no way around it, is thread text in a particular order, or any order at all, through multiple text-boxes and across pages in Page 5.

That is crippling, and no amount of imagination and constant cutting and pasting to make it fit, will turn this into something that works in practice.

Peter

How do I get text to flow from one page to the next in Pages 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.