Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory upgrade on a early 2008 iMac

Hi, I have a early 2008 24" iMac with 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I have read conflicting information here vs. Apple support site and would just like some advise and possibly answers from someone who has my computer that has done a succesful upgrade. I would obviously like to upgrade as high as I can. Apple says the Max I can have is 4 GB, but I have read that the real size is 6 GB. Which is it?

Also, does anyone know of a specifc Ram that wont break the bank but is still good?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.06GHz, Core 2 Duo, 2GB 800 MHz DD

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 8:40 AM

Many people on these forums speak well of the following suppliers.

Can't tell where you come from but ...

In North America contact OWC … Upgrade Apple iMac Memory

In Europe contact Crucial.com … RAM Memory Upgrade

Both companies have facilities to guide you and will recommend the correct memory package to meet whatever needs you describe to them.

There may be benefits buying from your own geographical location insofar as Shipping charges, Local sales taxes and Exchange rates. Check out the basic memory costs and do your sums.

Guide to required RAM. Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac.com

I think you can use 6GB on that machine.

Message was edited by: seventy one

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2013 8:40 AM in response to Soto

Many people on these forums speak well of the following suppliers.

Can't tell where you come from but ...

In North America contact OWC … Upgrade Apple iMac Memory

In Europe contact Crucial.com … RAM Memory Upgrade

Both companies have facilities to guide you and will recommend the correct memory package to meet whatever needs you describe to them.

There may be benefits buying from your own geographical location insofar as Shipping charges, Local sales taxes and Exchange rates. Check out the basic memory costs and do your sums.

Guide to required RAM. Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac.com

I think you can use 6GB on that machine.

Message was edited by: seventy one

Nov 19, 2013 8:51 AM in response to Soto

Your machine will accommodate 6GB, 4GB in one bank and 2GB in the second bank. Installing it is quite easy, OWC (www.macsales.com) is not only a reliable vendor but also sells a kit for a 6GB upgrade. In addition they provide how-to videos to demonstrate how to install the RAM. In short all that is needed is a small Philips screwdriver, the RAM and 10 minutes.

OWC is located in the US, while they will ship most anywhere if you are outside the US you also should consider Crucial, another reliable vendor.

Good luck.

Memory upgrade on a early 2008 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.