Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating problem on Macbook white 13.3" A1181 (Mid 2009)

Hello there,

I request your help on this, I have a Macbook 13.3" A1181, Mid 2009, and several days ago, I started to experienced that my laptop goes off due overheating, I mean it turns off by itself, beacuse of the heat issue. As you may notice, I'm out of warranty.

Things that I did until today to solve the trouble:

1. I downloaded smcFanControl, founding 0RPM, so this made me think that the fan was over. The temperature showed on it was increasing, as I expected due the fan stopping.

2. So, I opened the case without any problem and checked the status of the cooler fan (Remember that this model only has one fan). I found dust on it that I cleaned successful, I took off the heatsink and the fan, and also I changed the thermal paste in both chips, GPU and CPU without any problem, I'm very careful on electronical parts handling.

3. Once I turned on my Macbook, nothing happens, no noise from the fan. So, I downloaded this time the iStat Menus and you can see the following screen capture:

User uploaded file

So, does it mean that the problem was the sensor on the board?,

What is exactly "HeatPipe Heatsink" and "Fin Stack"??

how can I confirm it and how can I change (if neccesary)

This is the first serious issue on my Mac, my laptop has been on tech service only once through the Apple program to replace the top case cover (Due the known plastic's broken problems), no more.

Hope that you could lend me a hand on this. I want to keep this lovely machine running at least 10 years more 🙂

Thank you very much!!

Regards.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9), A1181

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 11:44 AM

Since Apple does not publish the heat limitations internally of Macs, nor do they tell you how to repair the fans or how much cooling gel is needed so it neither is an insulator, nor is too little, you'd best off take the machine into service.

Attempting to modify how the computer cools itself yourself can prematurely end the life of the computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2013 11:44 AM in response to DJCHR

Since Apple does not publish the heat limitations internally of Macs, nor do they tell you how to repair the fans or how much cooling gel is needed so it neither is an insulator, nor is too little, you'd best off take the machine into service.

Attempting to modify how the computer cools itself yourself can prematurely end the life of the computer.

Nov 21, 2013 1:43 PM in response to a brody

Well It's really a pity.

You are right in the way that is better to think about the tech service, so I called to a reseller here with technical service and I figured out that they doesn't know nothing. Nobody could tell me how possible we can change or repair the temperature sensor (in case if this was the cause of the issue), the only answer was "buy another equipment", come on!!!!

Seems that they doesn't want to repair it, if the cooler fan is the issue, no problem for me, I could change it, but if the thing is the sensor I need a help from the service, that they doesn't want to give me!!

By the way I ordered the cooler fan and I will change it, I hope that this will be the matter, if not I'm lose, and the right answer is not "buy another equipment", is the answer from a big company as Apple is.

Regards.

Overheating problem on Macbook white 13.3" A1181 (Mid 2009)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.