Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since upgrading to Mavericks, I can't connect to my external Seagate hard drive. How to I fix this??????

I have two Seagate hard drives that were working fine for a couple years until I upgraded to Mavericks. They connect via USB and never show up in Finder.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 8:32 AM

7 replies

Nov 19, 2013 9:21 AM in response to p10000

Seagate and Western Digital are both not getting along with Mavericks. The problem is generally associated with installing software supplied by the external's manufacturer which is incompatible with Mavericks. If you have installed Seagate software, I'd suggest uninstalling it and seeing if that fixes the problem. You might also check Seagate's support website to see if they're now offering Mavericks compatible software.

Nov 24, 2013 10:42 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Hmm, yes, I've seen this solution. Both these drives are from another computer, so they are "internal" drives that I was using as "external" drives for my macbook pro (Seagate Barracuda 7200.10). I never installed any Seagate software and the drives worked just fine for this last year after I formatted them. I was connecting them to my mac with a SATA to USB adapter cable. I'll check Seagate's website.

Apr 12, 2014 12:31 PM in response to p10000

I tried to connect a Samsung hard drive. Before Mavericks it was working fine. Now it won't appear in Finder and it can't be mounted in Disk Utility. As with previous issues I reported concerning iOS 7 and Mavericks, I wrote in this forum, but Apple never reacts. People are trying to help each other with workarounds, which is great, but the core issue isn't solved by Apple. It seems after Steve Jobs they're not concerned about quality that much anymore. The fact that I can't use a very common Samsung external hard drive on Mavericks is just way beyond deplorable. And what did I get in return? iBooks?

Since upgrading to Mavericks, I can't connect to my external Seagate hard drive. How to I fix this??????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.