Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update bookmarks in safari 6.1 on Macbook Pro

I am Using Safari 6.1 and a Macbook Pro with OS 10.7.5.

I am trying to edit my Favorites.

When I click on Edit Bookmarks in Safari, I get the view of the Favorites folder and a couple of other folders (which I never use.) I then click on Favorites to open that menu and see all the bookmarks, Tehn I click edit bookmarks and i get the list of bookmarks in a sidebar, but i can't click and drag to change their order, i can only delete or change their title. This is incredibly annoying.

Mark this as item 1,563 on the list of insanely annoying things Apple does when trying to make things "better." My question to Apple is WHY WHY WHY WHYW HWYW WHWYWYWHWHWYWYWYWHY????

Is it because Steve died?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 9:10 AM

6 replies

Jan 30, 2014 10:11 AM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

I am having the same trouble and cannot find an answer. Every reply to this problem walks you through how to move your bookmarks instead of addressing the fact that you can no longer move or edit them. I wish I had the answer. The only thing I can do thus far is to keep restarting Safari and reordering one bookmark at a time. After the one move, it locks up. No more draging or reordering.

Jun 16, 2014 4:12 PM in response to kimberkimber

I too can't move my bookmarks in Safari either. Grrrr.

What is wrong with Apple? I just upgraded my new iPhone to OS 7.1.1 and tried to sync with iCloud and my music app and my contact list disappeared on my iPhone. I have to go find someone with a PC to help me recover the contacts list by using an app only available on PCs. And that's embarassing since most people I know with PCs hate Apple and this will definitely be embarassing...

iPhone contacts recovery solution: http://iphone-contacts.over-blog.com/article-iphone-contacts-disappear-106829462 .html

Jun 16, 2014 6:42 PM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

Is it because Steve died?

No. It's because you're not doing it right, or because something is wrong with your installation. I don't have any way of knowing whether you are doing it right, so I'll assume that you are. See below.

This issue can be caused by Safari synchronization in iCloud. You can either disable it in the iCloud preference pane, or use a rather complex workaround found by some ASC members (which perhaps could be improved):

Back up all data. Disable Safari synchronization on all your devices.

Rearrange the bookmarks in the Bookmarks window. From the Safari menu bar, select

File ▹ Export Bookmarks

and export your bookmarks. Then delete all bookmarks.

Re-enable Safari synchronization and let it sync the empty bookmark set to all devices.

Select

File ▹ Import Bookmarks

to restore the bookmark set you just deleted. It will sync.

Jul 18, 2014 5:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

i haven't done anything on ICloud ever, and i am not able to edit my bookmarks any longer, or even go to the edit bookmarks page. i can open bookmarks on the side, and move them around, but i am not able to change the content/name, or even see all that i typed into the name b/c it won't let me have it full screen. or even half screen. only like 1/3 of the screen. and i have information there that i need monthly that i can no longer see. please, tell me how to access this!! when i go to bookmarks>edit bookmarks in the upper menu, it brings me to the top sites page. when i try to click on my saved favorites icon next to the bookmarks icon in the window, it again brings me to top sites instead of saved sites.
regarding the icloud preference pane above, i have no idea where to find it since i don't use icloud & still have this issue. please take a moment to actually try to do this first before posting what you think the solution is. i think you will see what we are talking about. thank you.

p.s. i am on a macbook air

Can't update bookmarks in safari 6.1 on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.