11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2014 7:41 PM by ChrisJ4203
Techlawyer Level 1 Level 1

I am a lawyer and have a signature block set up on my iPhone that contains my name, law firm, and some disclaimers about the e-mail potentially containing confidential information, etc.

When i type or dictate an e-mail on my iPhone, that signature block always appears automatically.  However, when I prepare and send an e-mail using Siri, the signature block does not appear.

Is there a way that I can get Siri to use the signture block?  If not, Siri is useless to me for the purpose of sending business e-mail -- because I need to have that signature block in my business e-mail.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4
Reply by ChrisJ4203 on Nov 19, 2013 11:19 AM Helpful

I just tried this several times with my phone. I have a 5s with iOS 7.0.4. I notice as well that if I create an email using Siri, while it will use my default account, it does not use the signature that I have set for the default account. I then went into photos to create an email with the share setting. It created the mail using the default account, inserted the picture, but it also used the default account signature. It appears this is a fault with Siri. I do not use this very often, as normally I am just responding to an email, so after tapping respond on the phone, I tap the microphone and dictate from there.

I suggest going to the feedback page to leave feedback to Apple. This may be something they can address in a future update. It is interesting how Siri can create an email, but yet disregard the default settings for the account.

All replies

• ChrisJ4203 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Just one question before I start testing, is this the only mail account on your iPhone?

• Techlawyer Level 1 Level 1

No, I have multiple e-mail accounts on my iPhone -- but I have one designated as my default account, which is the one that Siri uses to send e-mails.  However, I just tried composing an e-mail message on each of the other accounts and in all of them, the signature block appears when I prepare an e-mail message.

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Okay, I'm guessing that you tried to get Siri to use these other accounts? Do you have separate signatures for each of the other email accounts? I'm trying to test a couple of things in mine. I have two separate email accounts on my phone and each account has a different signature.

No, when I said that I tried composing an e-mail message on the other accounts, I meant that I did so manually -- by typing in a test message.  And when I did so, my signature block appeared.  I did not try using Siri to compose an e-mail message using these other accounts. 

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Alright. Just trying to make sure I understand everything that you have done.

Absolutely -- appreciate your follow-up and willingness to help.

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

I just tried this several times with my phone. I have a 5s with iOS 7.0.4. I notice as well that if I create an email using Siri, while it will use my default account, it does not use the signature that I have set for the default account. I then went into photos to create an email with the share setting. It created the mail using the default account, inserted the picture, but it also used the default account signature. It appears this is a fault with Siri. I do not use this very often, as normally I am just responding to an email, so after tapping respond on the phone, I tap the microphone and dictate from there.

I suggest going to the feedback page to leave feedback to Apple. This may be something they can address in a future update. It is interesting how Siri can create an email, but yet disregard the default settings for the account.

I will do that.  Thanks much for your help.

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

You're welcome.

• SuzanneT Level 1 Level 1

I agree.  This is a problem. Why can't Siri use my default email signature? Has there been any resolution?

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

There has not been any iOS updates since this time, so there would not be any way for there to have been a change at this time. Whether Apple makes any changes at a later date, no one here would know until Apple makes any announcements. I suggest using the feedback page, www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate link. This would be the only way to let Apple know your desire.