Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine or drag and drop?

I heard that sometimes certain things aren't retrievable from a Time Machine backup.. aka someone lost a file or two using Time Machine. Do people prefer dragging and dropping to backup their entire laptop (despite it being a cumbersome process)? Also, I want to back up my laptop (twice, of course) so I can actually go ahead and delete *everything* off of it and have it fun a lot faster. Is it possible to delete everything once you've backed up entirely on Time Machine?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 10:17 AM

9 replies

Nov 19, 2013 10:20 AM in response to redlotusgirl

1. It isn't possible to back up Mac OS X by dragging and dropping. Use a product such as the Disk Utility, Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper to create a bootable clone instead.

2. Only if Time Machine has been set to back up the drive containing the clone. This can be done in the Time Machine pane of System Preferences.

(92997)

Nov 19, 2013 6:48 PM in response to Niel

i'm running CCC as I type this. You're saying I should now use Time Machine to back up the drive containing the clone? And once I do this, I can erase everything from my laptop? I want to start anew and upgrade the operating system so I can mainly run Adobe Creative Cloud on this laptop...

Also, how do I erase an entire hard drive to start anew?

Time Machine or drag and drop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.