Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to know if my network is 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

1.) How do I determine if my network is a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network?

2.) Do I want one vs. the other?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 11:14 AM

If you have a Mac, hold down the option key while you click on the AirPort icon at the top of the screen.

Look for the Channel setting

That will tell you what channel you are on and whether you are connected to 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz at the present time.

User uploaded file

5 GHz connections are usually faster connections than 2.4 GHz. If your Mac is located a few rooms away from the wireless router, it will probably connect to 2.4 GHz since those signals will be stronger.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2013 11:14 AM in response to media fred

If you have a Mac, hold down the option key while you click on the AirPort icon at the top of the screen.

Look for the Channel setting

That will tell you what channel you are on and whether you are connected to 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz at the present time.

User uploaded file

5 GHz connections are usually faster connections than 2.4 GHz. If your Mac is located a few rooms away from the wireless router, it will probably connect to 2.4 GHz since those signals will be stronger.

Nov 19, 2013 3:03 PM in response to media fred

If you are close to the Cisco router and you are picking up 2.4 GHz then that is likely all that the Cisco device is capable of producing. If you have a model number handy, we can check.

A new router will produce both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network simultaneously. Wireless devices will automatically connect to the better quality signal based on their location in relation to the wireless router.

I cannot say whether you would notice any significant improvement with a new router.

That is where Apple's 14 day return privilege may come in handy. The bottom line with any wireless setup is that you will not know how well it performs in your home...until you actually try it out in your home.

Nov 20, 2013 9:26 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I’m planning to connect an Airport Express unit or the Extreme N to act as extenders (in addition to my current Linksys router or a new Extreme that I might get) to make sure the Wi-Fi signal is strong throughout my house. In this case, does having simultaneous dual bands even matter? OR is it still something I want even with good Wi-Fi signal coverage?

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2013 9:33 AM in response to media fred

I’m planning to connect an Airport Express unit or the Extreme N to act as extenders (in addition to my current Linksys router or a new Extreme that I might get) to make sure the Wi-Fi signal is strong throughout my house. In this case, does having simultaneous dual bands even matter? OR is it still something I want even with good Wi-Fi signal coverage?

To get an idea on how a simultaneous dual-band router can extend both bands at the same time please take a glance at the following image. Note that both base stations must be within range for both bands to extend both. In the image only the 2.4 GHz band would be extended. However there would still be network connectivity.

User uploaded file

May 2, 2015 4:29 PM in response to acidrous

Airport Extreme doesn't have 2 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously?

We already explained this once before. Please review a few posts back.

The question was about an A1143 version of the AirPort Extreme.

We said that this version could produce either a 2.4 GHz.....or......a 5 GHz signal, but not both simultaneously.

If you are asking about a different version of the AirPort Extreme......a 3rd Generation or higher model......those versions would all be capable of simultaneous dual band operation

How to know if my network is 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.