Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing photos after upgrade from iPhoto 08 to 11

I just updated iPhoto from '08 (v7.1.5) to '11 (v9.5) and I opened a copy of my old '08 library. Unfortunately iPhoto '11 does not show any events or photos from this library. If I view the contents of the library in Finder I see that it still contains a 40 GB 'Originals' folder, but the 'Masters' folder is empty. Is there a more involved upgrade procedure - that is, instead of simply choosing the old '08 library upon start up?

I saw this earlier question https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5567071?answerId=23844703022#23844703022. Though the problem sounds similar the solutions was to give up on importing and adding the photos manually. There must be a way to preserve my albums, no?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 11:36 AM

14 replies

Nov 19, 2013 11:55 AM in response to jensph

Apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

2 - run Option #4 to rebuild the database.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button and select the library you want to add in the selection window..

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Nov 19, 2013 12:37 PM in response to LarryHN

I had the 'select an iPhoto library' dialog when I opened iPhoto 11, so I browsed to the copy of my iPhoto '08 library. It appeared to recognize that it was an iPhoto library (it wasn't grayed out), but after choosing it I see no photos. The resulting library files are shown in the above image.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 19, 2013 2:48 PM in response to LarryHN

As mentioned in the original post I'm now running '11 (v9.5), upgraded from '08 (v7.1.5).

The only iPhoto library that is available for me to select is the one that I selected previously and has already been 'upgraded'. I do have a back-up before the upgrade, and this back-up opens fine on a different machine under '08 (v7.1.5) (and on this machine prior to the iPhoto '11 install).

Does iPhoto not log the upgrade process somewhere?

Nov 19, 2013 2:51 PM in response to jensph

did you verify the verion of iPhoto that you have installed?

and the library has not been upgraded - when it is upgraded the original photos are in the masters folder - that is why I whould like you to verify what version you have installed?

Something here is not computing and to discover what the problem is requires details

LN

Nov 19, 2013 2:59 PM in response to LarryHN

I appreciate the help, so I'd be happy to provide details.

I chose my single library shown in the screenshot. You can see it's located on a portable drive. An image of the file contents of this library were pasted above.

User uploaded file

And verifying the version of the installed iPhoto:

User uploaded file

Right, so the library hasn't been upgraded. When I first opened iPhoto '11 it asked me what library to open, so I selected the one on the portable drive shown above. It then opened immediately - so didn't do the upgrade - but it's saved in the same package - as we can see from the file contents.

Thanks again.

Missing photos after upgrade from iPhoto 08 to 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.