Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod wont restore and i've tried everything. The error that comes up says 1413 but i don't see anything that talks about 1413 problems.

My iPod wont restore and i've tried everything. The error that comes up says 1413 but i don't see anything that talks about 1413 problems. If anyone know what to do in this situation please help.

iPod classic

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 6:58 AM

Hey Shandl6,

I found the following about encountering error 1413 when trying to restore your iPod:

Solution 1 (Mac and Windows)

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Open iTunes and try to restore or update your iPod.

Solution 2 (Windows only)

1. This symptom may be caused by anti-spyware software preventing iTunes from installing correctly. One such application is SpyCatcher. Temporarily disable this software and reinstall iTunes 7.0.2 or later.

Solution 3 (Windows only)

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Locate the iPodUpdaterExt.dll file in Windows Explorer. This is typically found at the following location:
    C:\Program Files\iTunes
  3. In Windows Vista, on the Start menu, click All Programs, click Accessories and click Run. Alternately, in Windows XP and 2000, from the Start menu, click Run.
  4. Type cmd in the Open field and click OK.
  5. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 followed by a space.
  6. Type the path to the dll, as shown in the example below:
    regsvr32 "c:\Program Files\iTunes\iPodUpdaterExt.dll"
  7. Press Enter and a dialog should appear stating:
    DllRegisterServer in c:\Program Files\iTunes\iPodUpdaterExt.dll succeeded.
  8. Click OK and close the Command window.
  9. Open iTunes and try to restore or update the iPod.

via: Error 1413 when Updating or Restoring an iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1927

All the best,

Delgadoh

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2013 6:58 AM in response to Shandl6

Hey Shandl6,

I found the following about encountering error 1413 when trying to restore your iPod:

Solution 1 (Mac and Windows)

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.

Solution 2 (Windows only)

1. This symptom may be caused by anti-spyware software preventing iTunes from installing correctly. One such application is SpyCatcher. Temporarily disable this software and reinstall iTunes 7.0.2 or later.

Solution 3 (Windows only)

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Locate the iPodUpdaterExt.dll file in Windows Explorer. This is typically found at the following location:
    C:\Program Files\iTunes
  3. In Windows Vista, on the Start menu, click All Programs, click Accessories and click Run. Alternately, in Windows XP and 2000, from the Start menu, click Run.
  4. Type cmd in the Open field and click OK.
  5. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 followed by a space.
  6. Type the path to the dll, as shown in the example below:
  7. Press Enter and a dialog should appear stating:
    DllRegisterServer in c:\Program Files\iTunes\iPodUpdaterExt.dll succeeded.
  8. Click OK and close the Command window.
  9. Open iTunes and try to restore or update the iPod.

via: Error 1413 when Updating or Restoring an iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1927

All the best,

Delgadoh

Jan 7, 2016 9:30 PM in response to Delgadoh

Delgadoh, you are officially my favorite person on 2016. I know you posted this in 2013 but I just want to say THANK YOU!!! I was having the same issue my iPod Nano, 1st gen. It would not restore, just kept giving me the 1413 Error. I used the suggestion you made for Windows XP:

It worked brilliantly, hurrah! I think my problem may have been that I am running an old PC that has no storage for music so I have all the iTunes files on an external WD 500GB hard drive. Maybe iTunes didn't know where to look?

Speaking of files in different places, I cannot see the Apple Mobile Device Service driver when I open Device Manager. My computer says it is installed and running, but it does not appear. I opened Task Manager, clicked on Services and then right clicked on Apple Mobile Device. It shows that the the executable path is still pointing to the old c:\ drive instead of the new one:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe"

Inexplicably the box with the executable file is greyed out. So even though I am the administrator, I can't point it to the correct drive!I know this is a wholly separate issue, but maybe you have a suggestion? Thanks again, you rock!

My iPod wont restore and i've tried everything. The error that comes up says 1413 but i don't see anything that talks about 1413 problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.