Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari not opening Properly and no address bar

I recently updated software on my mac and since, I am having Safari issues.

When I click on the Safari link in the dock, nothing happens except the menu bar opens full screen with my desktop still on the screen.

If I go to the search bar on the desktop and search for a website, Safari actually does open with a web page, without the address bar.

I go to customize toolbar and try dragging default settings, but it does not work most times, the address bar is missing. When I get it to work, it does not come back after closing the window.

I have tried resetting Safari, but no change. I am using Apple for a short time, and have no idea what to do next.With the PC, I would re-install to try and fix issue.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 1:04 PM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2013 1:11 PM in response to borress

Try troubleshooting Safari extensions and third party plugins.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test. If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow all other plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Nov 19, 2013 1:35 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I tried the fixes listed, but no help.

I made a shortcut to google.com on my desktop. When I click it, it opens fine, address bar and all.

If I click on the Safari link, same issues as before.

If I click on the Safari link then click my shortcut to Google, I have issues.

The issues are every time I click on the Safai link, either in my dock, or desktop.

Nov 19, 2013 2:15 PM in response to borress

Delete the shortcut on the Desktop.

Then go to Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data.

Now empty the Safari cache.

Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Now click Develop from the menu bar. From the drop down menu click Empty Caches.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Nov 19, 2013 4:50 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I tried all above solutions. None worked.

I ended up deleting the 2 shortcuts to Safari (6.1), dragging the program from the applications menu to the desktop and dock.

This seems to have solved the issue.

The icon on the desktop has a little shortcut arrow and the one in the dock is the same as the one in the applications menu.

Thank You for your help.

safari not opening Properly and no address bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.