Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prepaid Data Plan by swapping SIM card

Others have asked a similar question -- about using an iPhone with a cellular data plan AND NOT use it as a phone.

Now, my situation is similar, but with a potential solution. I don't need a phone. My iPad4 Verizon uses the same micro SIM card as the iPhone 4S. So I'm thinking of buying a used iPhone 4S Verizon without contract or any calling plan. Then...

Have any of you tried swapping the micro SIM card from an iPad with active prepaid data plan? Does it work?

In theory it should work. But I want to be sure before purchasing the iPhone 4S. Apparently this idea is way too confusing for Verizon customer service. They're annoyingly clueless when I asked them about it. Need some facts.

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 1:28 PM

24 replies

Nov 19, 2013 1:37 PM in response to Ken2G5

It won't work. I don't know of any cell carrier that allows you to have an iPhone with just a data plan and not a voice plan to go with it.

Verizon doesn't use SIMs in any case except for their adjunct LTE service, so just swapping over the SIM wouldn't work at all. Verizon is still basically a CDMA service which registers a unique identification within the device, not on a SIM.

Regards.

Nov 19, 2013 1:42 PM in response to varjak paw

I don't understand your statement "Verizon doesn't use SIMs" because clearly this chart from Apple shows that the iPhone uses the same micro SIM card as the iPad4.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5554?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Both my Verizon iPad4 and my proposed Verizon iPhone 4S would be same CDMA service, too. The unique identifier resides in the SIM card -- I've swapped them between different iPad4 successfully.

Nov 19, 2013 1:55 PM in response to Ken2G5

The SIM is only for connecting to the LTE network. 3G data and voice service run on the CDMA network.

It is possible for a 'device' to have only data service, which is evidenced by your ability to use your iPad. You can NOT, however, put that SIM in to a Verizon iPhone and use it at all. In theory, it's possible. It's not a technical problem to make it work. Verizon, however, does not permit it. It's a matter of policy.

You can't do that.

Nov 19, 2013 2:07 PM in response to varjak paw

You seem to be working for Verizon. Or have some stake at protecting their profits.

I actually don't care whether they *want* to allow it or not. Policy schmolicy. If it happens to work, then it'll just beme. I'll still be paying their prepaid data plan. Verizon will only lose out on one potential customer. Cry me a river.

Nov 19, 2013 2:14 PM in response to Ken2G5

I don't work for Verizon, never have, and don't give a rat whether they make one single cent in profit.

What part of "it won't work" is unclear to you? Your iPhone cannot use your iPad's data plan. Verizon has it set up so that it won't work, period. They can detect your device and will not allow your iPhone to connect without having a voice as well as a data plan.

There's nothing more that can be said. If you want to argue, go argue with Verizon.

Nov 19, 2013 2:20 PM in response to varjak paw

What part of "it won't work" is unclear? Well the entire undefined statement is unclear! Anybody can jump up and down and shout the same three words. What makes yours any better?

I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to pull facts. Maybe you don't have any facts? That's okay, too.

No need to cite "Verizon won't allow it" if you don't give a rats *** about Verizon's profits. There's no hardware fact behind that statement whatsoever.

Prepaid Data Plan by swapping SIM card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.