Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hdd replacement

my hdd of a mid 2007 macbook is dead .Is there a recommmendation for a replacement hdd.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 2:08 PM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2014 11:13 AM in response to kinzigtaler

Hi:

The following post located at:

2.5 Inch Hard Drive - New Hitachi High Speed Experience and Questions

Describes the new line of low cost Hitachi drives. Here's a quote from that link:

I recently purchased a new Hitachi 500GB drive to replace an old drive in a 2009 mid year MacBook. I’m impressed with the seemingly incredible performance of the drive, but have some questions.

The original drive was OEM and it was a Fujitsu MHZ2160BH FFS G1 which was a 160GB drive that came with the system. Recently I started getting slow-downs with it so I used Scannerz to perform a drive test on it. Scannerz found a few, not many, bad blocks and a bunch of weak sectors surrounding them. Their manual include some instructions to use Disk Utility to reformat and zero the drive which may or may not fix the problems. This drive is already five years old, so I just figured why waste time on trying to repair something that’s really old enough it might be on its way out anyway.

I considered replacing it with an SSD but the prices for comparable or bigger drives really can’t be warranted on a MacBook this old because they really aren’t worth that much any more - you can get them on eBay in good condition for about $200 or less. The system, however, still works fine. Only the drive is having problems and that’s after five years.

I did some searching and found an Hitachi HGST HTS725050A7E630 on sale locally for just over $50. Its a 500GB HD SATA 7200 RPM drive. I included a bunch of links for stuff mentioned here at the bottom of this post. You can see the specs there.

In any case, I wanted to make sure the new drive was OK so I installed it and started a scan on it using Scannerz. I figured this would take hours to run so I started the scan, left for a few minutes while I got soda, and thought I’d make one last check before leaving it alone to do the test on the drive. I figured when I got back Scannerz would have gone through about 4 or 5 GB, but instead it was at about 12 GB. I thought something was wrong.

I started a retest and the drive was hauling like I’d never seen an actual hard drive move before. I thought maybe the big cache was fooling Scannerz, so I got a copy Black Magic Disk Speed Test and was really, really surprised to see how fast this thing is. Scannerz tests for errors and other problems, so it doesn’t report speed data directly.

I expected to see a performance improvement, but I expected the improvement be caused by the rotational speed of the drive. The old Fujitsu drive ran at 5400 RPM and the new Hitachi runs at 7200. I expected the improvement to be on the order of 7200/5400.

What I did was a set of tests on both the old Fujitsu and the new Hitachi. I also used an old program named Xbench to get some results. It’s quite old but if you use only the disk testing mode it still works. In any case, here’s what I got results wise:

NEW HITACHI:

Time to do 0-10 GB scan using Scannerz: 1 min 13.93 sec (73.93 sec)

Black Magic Disk Speed Test Write speed: 116.1 MB/sec

Black Magic Disk Speed Test Read speed: 120.8 MB/sec

Xbench Uncached Write (256K blocks): 117.29 MB/sec

Xbench Uncached Read (256K blocks): 96.86 MB/sec

OLD FUJITSU:

Time to do 0-10 GB scan using Scannerz: 2 min 39.65 sec (159.65 sec)

Black Magic Disk Speed Test Write speed: 47.5MB/sec

Black Magic Disk Speed Test Read speed: 46.6 MB/sec

Xbench Uncached Write (256K blocks): 37.44 MB/sec

Xbench Uncached Read (256K blocks): 44.67 MB/sec

I do know some people that have picked up that drive and they're quite impressed with it. However, make sure the drive is the new Hitachi because thay make an older one that's not as fast, but still apparently quite plentiful on the market.

hdd replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.