Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7 upgrade - says serial number is invalid????

Hi there,

I am wanting to upgrade from FCP4 to FCP7.

I am running a Macbook Pro with Mac OS X V 10.6.8

Question 1: Can I upgrade from a full version of FCP4 to FCP7?

Originally I installed FCP4 - full retail version - on a G5 tower/dektop in 2004.

In 2010 I bought a Macbook Pro and installed FCP6 Academic version as I was studying that year. I have been using this version until today.

I understand that I cannot upgrade my academic version (FCP6).

I have unplugged and stored my G5, and haven't used FCP4 for a few years now.

However, I have my old installation disks and serial numbers which I tried to install into my macbook pro today.

Today I tried to install FCP4 on my macbook pro, as I assume I need to do this in order to upgrade to FCP7.

It seemed to work - ie computer restarted, but I can't find FCP4 anywhere on my macbook, only the existing Academic version.

(There was also an error box for QMaster I think (?), and also a prompt to insert LiveType and apple Loops disks.)

Question 2: Do I need to also install Live Type and Apple Loops to successfully install FCP4?

Question 3: Do I need to un-install my Academic version in order to install my old FCP4?

On another tangent:

Just out of curiosity (or impatience hahaha) I inserted my FCP7 upgrade disk.

When I typed in the serial number = carefully, using capitals and dashes and being careful of O vs 0 etc = an error box comes up saying that the serial number is invalid.

Question 4: Why is the serial number invalid? Is it because I have an academic version installed at present, which can't be upgraded? It doesn't seem logical to me that it would prompt this message box.

Any help appreciated - I have a deadline looming!

Cheers

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 2:11 PM

1 reply

FCP7 upgrade - says serial number is invalid????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.