Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beware recent numbers update-spreadsheet data corruption?

Having just gotten a brand-new iMac, I also downloaded the new version of numbers and pages. What a huge mistake. When I went to open up one of the many spreadsheets I use on a daily basis, it insisted on opening it in the new version of numbers (3.0). There did not appear to be any way of opening in the old version 2.3. To my dismay, the financial figures in the number spreadsheet were completely corrupted-none of the columns any longer show the correct amounts. Instead, there were weird tiny decimals, such as . 01000000940000, etc. In other words, the whole point of the document was destroyed as the financial amounts are now just plain wrong Thankfully, I still had this spreadsheet on my old iMac, so I did a test drive and sent it to myself in an email, and opened it up on my new iMac. It was also completely corrupted once it was opened in numbers 3.0.

Considering that it is taken me an amazing amount of time and painstaking effort to enter in many years of data into literally thousands of spreadsheets, it was chilling to realize that if I opened them in this new update of numbers,the correct data would be changed and destroyed, and had I not had a backup on my other computer (and an external hard drive), they would have been forever lost to me, and the data completely irretrievable. It is not as though it would even be possible to reenter all of this information, let alone imagining how long it would take, but the entire point of these spreadsheets was to be an accurate record. Consider these implications-it is not just that going forward that the new numbers is clunky and a step backwards from 2.3, but that the data in my older documents would being destroyed simply by being opened in the new numbers update. Apple -pull your socks up!

I luckily still had the older versions of pages and numbers on my new iMac, so I just chucked the new numbers and pages into the trash, and will be using the older versions. Very disappointing.

Has anyone anyone else had this problem?

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 4:00 PM

2 replies

Nov 19, 2013 10:36 PM in response to alvca

Hi alvca,

Thi and other issues with moving to Numbers v3 have been reported here.

A better place to make this complaint, though is directly to Apple, using Provide Numbers Feedback, which you'll fine in the Numbers menu in Numbers. Or use the link, which goes to the same place.

There have also been recommendations to post a user review at the Mac App Store.

Regards,

Barry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.