Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to use a website to submit my S3 files as a podcast on iTunes?

I have never submitted a podcast to iTunes, but after a few hours of research I understand that in order to do so I need a media host, such as S3, and a website to publish the file on and use as a feed for iTunes. I have my complete audio files on S3 and I am curious wether it is actually necessary to put files on a website such as wordpress, or if I can just create a simple RSS using Text Edit and use that with S3 and submit that feed to iTunes. If I do need to use a site like Wordpress, do my posts need to be publicly viewable? I guess I don't understand what the function of wordpress is other than just a relatively easy way to provide the file and metadata to iTunes. I hope I was clear enough. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 4:08 PM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2013 6:23 PM in response to el_fogero

Yes, Wordpress is just one of MANY ways to produce the XML for the RSS feed, but it's certainly not necessary. My first podcast had the XML feed coded by hand. I later moved on to a system that I programmed myself (so I wouldn't have to re-code XML every week.) TWiT.tv is now using a self-coded system similar to that one I made myself in order to automatically generate and publish the feeds.

...but if you want to make the XML in TextEdit and upload that, you can. However, that makes it really easy to make a typo and mess up the whole feed validation, so be careful!

Nov 20, 2013 8:03 AM in response to el_fogero

You need an FTP program such as CyberDuck or Transmit to upload your feed file to the server. Once that is done you should subscribe to it in iTunes (from the File menu in v11 or the Advanced menu in earlier versions) to make sure that it works.

If it doesn't, post back here with the URL of the feed. If it does you can submit it as described in my page:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/podcast.html#submit

Do I need to use a website to submit my S3 files as a podcast on iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.