Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes update nixed Quicktime and FCP 7 Codecs

Help with pro apps

itunes update issues with Quicktime Playback and Final Cut Pro 7 playback showing codec could not be found. All was well before this latest upgrade of itunes 11.1.3. FCP 7 using QT 7.2 which is not playing back the h264 HDV 1080i 60 now. What to do? Running QT 7.2 stand alone plays only audio, exporting to other formats is audio only. The same occurs running QTX stand alone it plays back the .mov video and audo but exports only audio to .m4v.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 8:58 PM

I think you may have had iTunes update your QuickTime and probably it defaulted to the QTX/Core AV kit, instead of the older QT framework..

Oh boy, if that is the case..

Yeah, not good.

Time to go to the QuickTime 7.6.6 and install that, at this point, you're most likely going to manually sort through your codec folders, since the release of Mavericks, it's become apparent that Apple is moving their entire audio-video base to higher efficiency formats that are compatible with the iThings that run on the mobile chips.

Not being a pro apps user, my experience is limited, but at the point where the iTunes is updating and afflicting NON-Mavericks systems, all bets are off.

OBVIOUSLY Apple is forcing this A/V change on everyone, not just Mavericks users.

Though to be honest, QT 7.2 is pretty old and a fresh install of QT 7.6.6 may re-bless your codec folder. It also really cannot hurt if you get into your Preferences folders and pull out all the quicktime preference files and let the apps rebuild new ones.

QT 7.6.6. - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

Try that first and see what comes of it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2013 8:58 PM in response to dd-TV

I think you may have had iTunes update your QuickTime and probably it defaulted to the QTX/Core AV kit, instead of the older QT framework..

Oh boy, if that is the case..

Yeah, not good.

Time to go to the QuickTime 7.6.6 and install that, at this point, you're most likely going to manually sort through your codec folders, since the release of Mavericks, it's become apparent that Apple is moving their entire audio-video base to higher efficiency formats that are compatible with the iThings that run on the mobile chips.

Not being a pro apps user, my experience is limited, but at the point where the iTunes is updating and afflicting NON-Mavericks systems, all bets are off.

OBVIOUSLY Apple is forcing this A/V change on everyone, not just Mavericks users.

Though to be honest, QT 7.2 is pretty old and a fresh install of QT 7.6.6 may re-bless your codec folder. It also really cannot hurt if you get into your Preferences folders and pull out all the quicktime preference files and let the apps rebuild new ones.

QT 7.6.6. - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

Try that first and see what comes of it.

Nov 22, 2013 8:03 AM in response to Deborah Terreson

Thank you Deborah, I tried the 7.6.6 upgrade and it still gave the error message "Codec could not be opened."

I got some help from a Computer Consultant and he unistalled Final Cut Pro and reinstalled and now the video is working again both in FCP 7 and QT 7.6.6.

And thanks to your suggestion I have the newest version of QT.

This itunes upgrade, QT & FCP 7 codec issue has after 7 days not been resolved at Apple in Cupertino. The tech reported others with this same issue, but no solution from Apple.

My gratitude for you help.

Douglas

itunes update nixed Quicktime and FCP 7 Codecs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.