Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall the iBooks on Mavericks?

I don't want keep iBooks, but I cannot uninstall it, so I delete its content folder.

However, this app is still cannot be deleted.

How could I uninstall the iBooks?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 1:27 AM

OK, I know how to finish iBooks

just use terminal to run

sudo rm -rf /Applications/iBooks.app

That makes me feel better!

10 replies

Nov 20, 2013 1:28 AM in response to EGODECA

iBooks is now part of the OS X install. Deleting apps that are part of the OS isn't recommended as it could possibility cause instability of the Mac. My recommendation would be don't attempt to uninstall it, just leave it there and ignore it if you have no use for it.

The app itself only occupies around 58-60mb of space, so it's not taking too much of your storage availability away.

Dec 17, 2013 11:49 PM in response to Paul_31

Paul_31, while I'm sure you mean well, iBooks is not "part of the OS." It is simply an application that is installed along with the OS. There's a huge difference. The "iBooks is required" message is hogwash. And the proof of that is that once it's removed, iTunes "knows" it's removed, and automatically your books will appear, once again, in iTunes, as they always did.

It's perfectly safe to remove iBooks, and there are numerous threads on reputable sites with instructions for doing so.

I removed iBooks, weeks ago, the day Mavericks was released, and have had no problems. On the contrary, all the features that were omitted in iBooks I now have access to, once again, in iTunes. Furthermore, no one that I know who has removed it has had problems. Nor have I seen reports on the internet of anyone having problems after removing it.

That said, to anyone who choosed to so it, be sure to read the instructions and follow them PRECISELY. Your actions are your own. :-)

Dec 18, 2013 1:22 AM in response to Syncopator

I always mean well 🙂.

OK, it would have been more accurate to say 'it gets installed along with the OS', but I'd still recommend not uninstalling it, along with not uninstalling any other programs that get installed along with the OS - and I think that is the general recommendation.

I'd still choose to leave it installed and just ignore it if I didn't want to use it - which is what I do. It's not like it takes up a lot of space.

Dec 18, 2013 1:39 AM in response to Paul_31

Paul_31 wrote:

I'd still choose to leave it installed and just ignore it if I didn't want to use it - which is what I do. It's not like it takes up a lot of space.

Have to agree with you Paul. And even though Syncopator says it is easy to remove, I do notice he had to cover himself with a disclaimer at the end.

That said, to anyone who choosed to so it, be sure to read the instructions and follow them PRECISELY. Your actions are your own. :-)

Cheers

Pete

Dec 19, 2013 4:59 PM in response to petermac87

petermac87 wrote:

Paul_31 wrote:

Have to agree with you Paul. And even though Syncopator says it is easy to remove, I do notice he had to cover himself with a disclaimer at the end.

Cheers

Pete

petermac87,

If it so happens that you have a reading-comprehension problem, please forgive me, as it is not my intent to be the slightest bit insensitive. However I cannot -- and will not -- allow you to put words in my mouth.

Nowhere in my post did I say iBooks is "easy" to remove. NOWHERE.

(As such, I enthusiastically invite you to read my post again.) It seems you and Paul_31 both have difficulty either choosing, or interpreting, precise language. I, on the other hand, choose mine quite carefully and deliberately.

What I said, sir, is that iBooks is perfectly SAFE to remove. Not EASY. And as I had to point out in my previous reply (albeit on a different topic), there's a huge difference.

Now, had I in fact said iBooks was easy to remove, your attempt to discredit me by pointing out my so-called "disclaimer" would have made perfect sense -- because under those circumstances, clearly I would have contradicted myself.

But in reality quite the opposite is true:

It is precisely because I used the word "safe" (and not the word "easy") that I wanted to emphasize the anyone who chooses to remove iBooks must take care to follow the instructions carefully. I stated that precisely because it's NOT easy! In fact, I took special care NOT to imply that it's easy, because, for the average user, it's not.

But "ease" wasn't the point. The point was feasibility. And I stated -- and I maintiain without apology -- that it is, in fact, safe to remove iBooks.

Is it safe? Yes.

Is it easy? Not to the average user. (And I never said it was.)

So, to anyone who wishes to remove it (as many of us have, without incident), I was stressing the importance of following the instructions precisely.

That wasn't a "disclaimer." It was advice. :-)

Finally, there's Paul_31's suggestion:

I'd still choose to leave it installed and just ignore it if I didn't want to use it...

I see. But did you think that advice through? :-) It seems you didn't, because "ignoring it" is logical if -- and only if -- the user has never once launched iBooks. The problem, as we all know, is that iBooks is sorely lacking in functionality. But one does not discover that until one actually launches the app and discovers that fact! But once it's been launched -- and the user's books have been transerred to iBooks -- one cannot simply "just ignore iBooks" because one's library has been transferred out of iTunes!

I highly doubt that users who install Mavericks will take a look at the iBooks icon and think, "Hmm... Before I even launch this app, I'd better check the Apple discussions to see if there are any problems with it." Most users who come to this (or any similar) thread will have already launched iBooks, found it problematic, and are now seeking a solution.

As such, telling them to "just ignore" iBooks isn't a solution -- that is, unless they're willing to forego access to any of their books, because their books now can only be accessed from iBooks -- which of course you're recommending that they simply ignore.

Wow, dude.

I'll agree with you in spirit:

To any user who has NOT yet launched iBooks, DON'T! Just ignore it until Apple has improved it. But since the vast majority of users reading this thread will have already launched iBooks, advising them to "just ignore it" isn't quite a solution to their problem. :-)

Warm regards.

Oct 18, 2014 5:24 PM in response to Paul_31

OS X should never store essential libraries or supporting software inside an application package. Furthermore, OS X should never tell the user they may not delete software that they do not use.

From an OS design stand point, all supporting libraries and softwares for use in "shared functionality" applications should be stored in System or User Library.

It's 67MB of junk that I do not want on my disk. Deleted.

How to uninstall the iBooks on Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.