Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

latency in monitoring

Hi

a very annoying thing has just occurred when recording audio in logic pro x...

at first i thought it was "latency" but the recording of the audio is unaffected... it records everything in time ....

and plays back perfectly in time...

but the monitoring is delayed ...i mean when recording a guitar track for instance you hear the actual sound a split second after ...

the sort of thing i used to get when recording in "garageband on my ipad"with the apogee Jam...

so getting back to the problem ...i also hear this delay recording vocals ...extremely annoying as this is not apparent at first this happens after

recording a few tracks...if i was to open a new project the problem dissapears...it only affects the project once started...

i have altered things in the preferences but nothing doing....hhheeeellllpppp!!!!

anyone????

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 3:52 AM

6 replies

Nov 20, 2013 8:44 PM in response to Novice2011

I'm having the same issue. I recorded a keyboard take - 2 channels, on an apogee duet. The start of the project is fine. Half way through I recorded another take after a 3 second break and I cannot get these regions to start playback. I have to exit the project and reload it. If I do any recording the same happens. It takes 2 1/4 bars before the audio starts playing. I can move the playhead along the region and it will take a few seconds for the audio to start playing - less than the beginning of the region. Very annoying. I have tried latency settings and restarted, etc.

Im in the middle of a project with tight timelines. Please help!

Nov 20, 2013 9:31 PM in response to cptcooksey

I found the answer to my problem. I had a full drum set comped with about 8 takes accross 8 tracks. Once I merged and flattened the comps the audio played back fine and on time. I did notice Logic loading up tracks into memory a few times when I made changes in the project. since flattening the comps I havent seen that appear. Also my Logic Pro X memory consumption in Activity Monitor went down from 1.2 GB to 1 GB - not sure if that is the problem, but I;m working fine now. Phew.

Nov 20, 2013 9:42 PM in response to Novice2011

Novice2011 wrote:

Hi

a very annoying thing has just occurred when recording audio in logic pro x...

at first i thought it was "latency" but the recording of the audio is unaffected... it records everything in time ....

and plays back perfectly in time...

Have you added a "latency inducing plugin" to either the master bus or one of the track inserts.

Mastering plugins cause latency as does multiband compression.

Make sure your Preferences/Audio/ I/O buffer is 128 or less.

Remember, the lower the I/O buffer the harder the computer has to work. It's always a balancing act between low latency and CPU usage.

Nov 20, 2013 9:56 PM in response to Pancenter

I have no master plugins on at all. I had ez drummer but replaced that with real drums and deleted the track. I do only have 8 Gb of RAM on my MacBook - since OSX mavericks the memory usage has increased. Time to upgrade my ram and gift the 8Gb to my wife since her MacBook has slowed after mavericks.

Thanks so much for the fast reply. Very much appreciated.

Nov 21, 2013 1:21 AM in response to Pancenter

Hi first of all let me say a big thank you for the replies....

I did have a latency plugin loaded in the output channel the "adaptive limiter" duhhh!!!!

That's for experimenting with what it would sound like....

Big mistake ...as I forgot to disingage the plugin when more guitar and vocal tracks recodings were needed....

Playback was never a problem only input monitoring....

I fully understand now that in order to process the signal mastering plugins will have a input/output latency...

Thanks again..

latency in monitoring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.