Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i resume a Time Machine backup of an attached external drive (no system, just data) on a different laptop?

I am trying to find out if I can use a Time Machine (specifically on a 2013 Time Capsule) backup of an external drive (only data, no system) attached to a laptop, and then connect that same external drive to another laptop and resume the backup? Or is the Time Machine backup of an attached external drive a laptop "dependant" backup?

Additional info: The laptops in question are 15" MacBook Pro and a 17" MacBook Pro from 2011 running OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 2:18 PM

You can't do that without pointing your second computer at the first computers backup, which eventually could cause problems since each machine has its own backup.

3 replies

Nov 21, 2013 8:30 AM in response to Eric Root

I arrived to that conclusion after a series of tests. The content of sparsebundles created in the Time Capsule (and even that of a Time Machine on an external disk) do in fact start with the computer's name folder, and inside a corresponding folder for the internal hd and the attached drives next to it. I've decided to use a regular clone sync procedure to a regular folder in the Time Capsule for the external disk issue, so that it can be syncronized from another computer.

I am thou a bit worried because the Time Capsule's WiFi seems to have some small internal network disconnections, and i'm wondering what effect could be if it happens during a Time Machine backup. The concern arises because i was told that when a wireless Time Machine backup is interrupted the sparsebundle gets sort of "locked" or "damaged", and although the backups can be accessed, no further Time Machine backup is possible. One must that a brand new backup.

Should i phrase this concern in another discussion?

Thank you Eric

Nov 21, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Andre_Mello

You are welcome.

I don't think there is a need to start a new discussion unless you want to.

You should have more than one backup of each computer. Hard drives do fail. Time Machine can alternate drives or have a Time Machine and a clone.

The concern arises because i was told that when a wireless Time Machine backup is interrupted the sparsebundle gets sort of "locked" or "damaged", and although the backups can be accessed, no further Time Machine backup is possible. One must that a brand new backup.

Apple support article. Don't let the title bother you. Look at Additional Information, which explains what happens when a backup gets interrupted. I also am including a link for troubleshooting. C3 explains what you can try if the backup is interrupted.

Time Machine First Backup Interrupted

Time Machine Troubleshooting

Can i resume a Time Machine backup of an attached external drive (no system, just data) on a different laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.