Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to move FCS 3 *UPGRADE* to another machine

Hi

I'm running FCS3 which I bought and installed as an upgrade from an earlier version.

My current old MP is a 1,1 running Lion and I'm moving to a 5,1 which is running Mavericks.

I have all the disks, s/n etc. Will I be able to install it on another machine without the original disks from the earlier version?

With regard to the FCP projects I have on my current RAID do I just copy all relevant files and folders across? I'm not sure I want to clone them to the new RAID (even if that's possible?!)

Having looked around a bit it looks like it is possible to run FCS3 and FCPX on the same maching, although not simulaneously - anyone have any experience/advice/tips/warnings about that?

Many thanks for reading,

Paul

Mac OS X (10.7.4), 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 8:08 AM

The license agreement for fcp allows you to have it installed on a desktop and laptop although you're only supposed to be using it on one machine at a time. If both machines are connected to a network, you will only be able to run it on one of the machines at the same time.

As long as you uninstall it on the old machine, you should be within in the license to install it on the new machine. You'll probably need the original serial number besides the upgrade serial number. When the installation asks for the serial number, enter the original serial number, you'll then be asked for the upgrade serial number.

If you can have the same drive name and folder (directory) structure on the new raid, fcp shouldn't have any issues and will connect to the media automatically.

Here's a link on best installation and upgrade practices with some notes on having both fcp and fcpx on the same system

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2861

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2013 8:08 AM in response to paulgilbert

The license agreement for fcp allows you to have it installed on a desktop and laptop although you're only supposed to be using it on one machine at a time. If both machines are connected to a network, you will only be able to run it on one of the machines at the same time.

As long as you uninstall it on the old machine, you should be within in the license to install it on the new machine. You'll probably need the original serial number besides the upgrade serial number. When the installation asks for the serial number, enter the original serial number, you'll then be asked for the upgrade serial number.

If you can have the same drive name and folder (directory) structure on the new raid, fcp shouldn't have any issues and will connect to the media automatically.

Here's a link on best installation and upgrade practices with some notes on having both fcp and fcpx on the same system

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2861

Is it possible to move FCS 3 *UPGRADE* to another machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.