Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different Sustain Question - Sustain Over 2 Patches

I've read thru many discussions about people having issues with patches cutting off when holding the sustain and switching to another patch. I'm NOT having this issue. Sustain works as it should when changing patches. However, does anyone know how to have the sustain hold when switching patches AND continue to sustain on the 2nd patch?

Example, play a chord on the 1st patch (piano), hold sustain down, then change to the 2nd patch (rhodes) and play another chord and make the 2nd patch sustain over top of the 1st patch that is still being sustained.

I've actually had this to happen to me several times but as a fluke and I can't seem to figure out the sequence of how to make it work everytime - it makes for a cool effect and I want to be able to do it consistently.

Thanks!!

MainStage, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 7:59 AM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2013 8:55 AM in response to jon newcomb

To make the 2nd patch sustain, it would need to receive a sutain(MIDI control 64) command. To do that with the same pedal, you would need to release and press it again, releasing the sustain on the previous patch. You could do it consistently if the 2nd patch was assigned to a different sustain pedal. Maybe your keyboard has an unused pedal input. If not, you could assign a sustain pedal from a second keyboard to sustain the 2nd patch. Assign it to just this one patch by overriding the parent mapping in the screen control inspector in edit mode. Other patches would be unaffected.

Nov 20, 2013 9:02 AM in response to jon newcomb

Thanks lifenoise. That's definitely a possibility - but I'm trying to avoid setting up more gear. I try to maximize my workflow as much as possible to avoid having to setup additional hardware. I'm trying to figure out if when it does sustain both patches, if it's Mainstage just glitching or if there is a proper way I can combine hitting the chord + sustain + next patch button to make it sustain both patches - or some setting to turn this function on/off.

Different Sustain Question - Sustain Over 2 Patches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.