Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On the iPhone 5/5s, can you hear the other person properly when they are lying down?

When I use the iPhone 5s while lying down in bed, the other person is unable to hear me. When someone who is using the iPhone 5s is lying down in bed, I cannot hear them.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Does anyone know what causes this issue? I actually used to have this same issue with the HTC One, and I was under the impression that it had to do with the accelerometer of smartphones. I do not know of any other difference between smart phones and normal phones.

It's rather annoying, such a basic feature of a PHONE product to be able to talk and hear clearly. Major fail, Apple. For this alone, I may consider switching to another phone.

I have found other comments from iPhone 5 users who have the same issue: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/11/29/iphone-5-review/

MICROPHONE

I don’t know if it’s because I have big hands or what, but there many times when people on the other end of the phone can’t understand a thing I’m saying. Specifically, any time I lay down flat on my back, the iPhone 5′s microphones seem to go especially bad. A few times, it’s gotten so bad that the people on the other end of the line hung up because they couldn’t deal with it.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 8:26 AM

12 replies

Dec 6, 2013 5:18 AM in response to EBFan

Hi this is definitely an issue with my iphone 5s as well. As soon as i lie down in bed the other person cannot hear me clearly. The voice is significantly muffled. I have tested this several times and have swapped for a new phone but the pro lem persists. I an going to try a third brand new handset and if the problem still exists will cancel my 24 month mobile plan asap!

Feb 17, 2014 1:58 AM in response to EBFan

I have been facing this problem consistently. My voice appears distant or muffled to the person at the other end when i lie down and talk, specifically when my phone's microphone is more towards ceiling. I have got my phone replaced of this issue but the issue exists in new piece as well to a lesser extend although. I am not sure if its iPhone 5s production issue or what!!

Feb 17, 2014 12:50 PM in response to alankar_jain05

Please Apple. Fix this significant bug/defect in your product in your next software update. I know this is a software issue probably related to the Accelerometer detecting that the phone is not upright and then turning off the receiver. Not sure why you would even want to do that.

It is ridiculous that the iPhone cannot perform the most BASIC function of voice calls. After all, that is what you buy the phone for... the texting, internet, applications are all bonus. Phones are used while lying down, upside down, lying on the side, etc. You are basically hurting yourself and your customer base with this significant design flaw. Think about all the couples talking to their significant others when they're lying in bed first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening they are long distance. Think about hospital patients who want to speak with their families. Think about the homeless on the streets with their iPhones lying down calling people to give them money (or not...).

Anyway, you get my point. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix it. I only recently changed from being an Android user to an iPhone user... this is seriously my biggest gripe with your product.

Feb 22, 2015 10:47 AM in response to tomwk

tomwk wrote:

I have this exact same problem. At first I thought it must be a bad iPhone 5s so I sent it back for a new one. The new one had the same problem. It is inexcusable that a cell phone doesn't even work well as a phone, much less all the other gadgets. Sorry, Apple. This will be my last iPhone.

There's nothing inherent about the iPhone that prevents the microphone from working properly, regardless of the orientation of the iPhone.

Test the issue with the Voice Memo app. If you can play back your recorded voice properly, then it's not the device.

This is the only thread I've ever seen that reports this issue, and only six people have reported the issue. It seems to be a very 'unique' set of circumstances. And with only six reports in a year and half or so, that's not a lot of incidences.

May 6, 2015 7:48 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Not true. A lot of people don't participate in fora. I have the same issue. I know a lot of people who have the same issue. It is not 'six people in a year and a half'. More likely 'six people (+one) who have spoken/written about it'.

The issue is very annoying as I can't receive calls while bedridden. I need a phone that works in the hospital, when I am in bed sick, when I am asleep and get a call from my aging parents in the middle of the night... This is not a trivial issue.

May 6, 2015 8:21 AM in response to msmapple

msmapple wrote:

The issue is very annoying as I can't receive calls while bedridden. I need a phone that works in the hospital, when I am in bed sick, when I am asleep and get a call from my aging parents in the middle of the night... This is not a trivial issue.

The phone works fine while lying down. I use it while reclining quite often. The problem is that, while lying flat in bed, people have tendency to hold the phone so that the microphone is down near their neck rather than closer to their mouth. Gravity in action. Adjust the postition of the phone so that the center line goes from your ear to the corner of your mouth. It will be fine.

You will probably be more comfortable using some sort of headset, though, especially if you're going to be on a long conversation. You can also use the phone on speaker.

Feb 5, 2016 4:20 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

This issue is not about people "tendency to hold the phone". The product is poorly designed. I had the iPhone 6 with no problem The whole time I had it (over a year). Got the 6s and it had the problem from first day, replaced it within the week and the second 6s had the problem as well. This problem seems to happen every second model Apple releases. I replaced the 4s and the 5s 3 or so times each because of it.

When I lie down and talk at certain angles (like holding to to my right ear) then it doesnt work and people on the other side can only hear very very muffled sound. This happens on some iPhones but not others. It is a serious design fault that needs to be fixed. People should be able to lie down and talk to other people. It is ridiculous that sometimes some versions of the phones don't have this problem and then later versions the problem reemerges. I have probably swapped over 7 phones (and will swap over another today) because of it which comes out of apples pocket. An otherwise 10/10 product becomes a 5/10.

Feb 6, 2016 7:02 AM in response to MightyRowan

MightyRowan wrote:

This issue is not about people "tendency to hold the phone". The product is poorly designed. I had the iPhone 6 with no problem The whole time I had it (over a year). Got the 6s and it had the problem from first day,

As you have a different phone than anyone else in the thread (the 6S hadn't been released when this thread was last active), you may have a different problem.

On the iPhone 5/5s, can you hear the other person properly when they are lying down?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.