Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless connection drops on 1/2 of computers on network

I have an Apple Airport Extreme N Router setup to feed my NAS wirelessly to all computers on my network. Some computers on the network can sign in wirelessly (Via TP-Link TEWDN3200 USB Adaptor) and connect to the NAS. The other half drop connections all the time and cannot connect to the NAS in any way using the TP-Link USB adaptor or the PCI-e adaptor. (Via Webserver or mapped network drives) Computers which are wired directly to the router can access the NAS without any problems.

Some more facts:
- All computers (with and without the problem) are running Windows XP PRO 32 bit SP3

- Some computers are using a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 with latest drivers

- All computers are connecting via the Wireless Zero-config service

- In the 'status' window on the wireless network, for computers that connect fine, the Netnwork ID remains solid and the connection looks stable.

- In the 'status' window on the wireless network, for computers that can't connect, the Network ID flashes in and out and the network speed bounces between 450.0 Mbps and 200.0 Mbps. Said computers eventually lose connection and then automatically reconnect only to drop out within an hour or so.

- All PC's are using DHCP and the addressable range is 99 on the NAS. More than enough for 7 computers.

- All computers are in the same room and the problem is evident no matter which broadcast channel I use or which frequency. (2.4 gHz or 5 gHz) It is now set to automatic in the Airport because it seems the most stable.

- I installed a WDN4800 PCI-e adaptor into one of the PC's that worked with a USB adaptor and it no longer works with either!

Very frustrating! 😠

I did some troubleshooting with TP-link, thinking it was their card, but came up with nothing. They think it's the Airport.

The only telltale sign that the PC is not going to work is that Network name in the status window of the wireless connection. If it's flashing: It won't connect. If it's solid: it works flawlessly for weeks on end.

Has anyone seen this issue before? If so: what did you do to fix it?

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 11:27 AM

SOLVED:

The Airport Extreme is dying. Why it works on some computers and not others is beyond me but, after replacing it, everything works flawlessly. I hope this is covered under warranty.

1 reply

Wireless connection drops on 1/2 of computers on network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.