Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading early 2008 iMac to 6GB RAM

Hi, I posted the other day bout upgrading to 6GB RAM from 2GB. The concensus here as well as other sites was that I could go past Apples recomended 4GB to 6GB. I ordered the 6GB kit from OWC and am waiting for the shipment. On that note, is there a specific order to place the memory in the slots? Does the 4GB module have to go in slot 1 or 2 or does it not matter which goes where? Thanks.

Also, just for reference which is concidered Slot 1 and Slot 2. I'm assuming we are already thinking of the slots while looking at them while the iMac is screen down and the bottom is facing us.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.06GHz, Core 2 Duo, 2GB 800 MHz DD

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 9:08 AM

You should be fine in either order. If the computer had 4 RAM slots like the MacPros, it would be a different story, but the iMac should address the RAM the same in either configuration.

4 replies

Nov 20, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Soto

Soto wrote:

Hi, I posted the other day bout upgrading to 6GB RAM from 2GB. The concensus here as well as other sites was that I could go past Apples recomended 4GB to 6GB. I ordered the 6GB kit from OWC and am waiting for the shipment. On that note, is there a specific order to place the memory in the slots? Does the 4GB module have to go in slot 1 or 2 or does it not matter which goes where? Thanks.

Also, just for reference which is concidered Slot 1 and Slot 2. I'm assuming we are already thinking of the slots while looking at them while the iMac is screen down and the bottom is facing us.

It does not matter which bank each DIMM goes into. You may benefit by looking at OWC's online video on how to install the RAM, you can find it by clicking their support link.

Mar 27, 2014 6:45 AM in response to Soto

I've just taken delivery of a 4GB module to replace a 1GB module. I had 2GB in the other slot so have effectively doubled to 6GB in total. First signs are promising. General speedier in performance although when you look at the activity monitor it's always pretty much hovering around the 3GB mark - the dreaded kernel_task seems to drain alot. Make me realise that the old 3GB configuration was pretty much maxing out all the time until the upgrade. Makes you wonder is 8GB is enough in the new imacs.

Paid £98 for the 4GB module - if things remain improved reckon I've bought myself another year of use - was getting painfully slow.

Upgrading early 2008 iMac to 6GB RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.