Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi-IM client with file transfer

I've been trying to find the ultimate multi-IM client which supports file transfers on all protocols... Quite ambitious, I know. I haven't found one, so I'll share my experience and ask for other suggestions. I'm mainly interested in Yahoo! Messenger, GTalk and Facebook Chat.

- Messages/iChat : great, except that the Facebook Chat account doesn't support file transfers. I only get a text: <contact name> sent you an image/file if I receive and an error if I try to send.

- Adium - no file transfers whatsoever. I know they have included this in "Known Issues", that it's actually a matter of luck whether file transfer works or not...

- Trillian - no file transfers on Facebook Chat.

- Nimbuzz - no file transfers on Facebook Chat.

- Psi - no file transfers on Facebook Chat.

I have yet to try the newly launched Flamingo, but I really wouldn't like to spend $10 for it...

Is there any way I could make Messages support file transfers on Facebook Chat? It would be my first choice, as it's deeply integrated into OS X and its iMessages support. I asked this on the Facebook Community, but still no answer. I have set up the Facebook Chat account as they say on the Facebook website.

Does it have anything to do with Mavericks?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 9:48 AM

23 replies

Nov 20, 2013 1:39 PM in response to m3adi3c

Hi,

There is a setting at Facebook's end that is about allowing "other Browsers"

The premise is that you use one browser in one location.

However when you switch computers or devices to make posts and the like then the Facebook end can stop you logging in.

There seemed to be some evidence that this also applied to iChat and Messages as they are also alternative Logins.

I don't use Facebook so I would ask does it actually File transfer by any means ?

Does it work in a Web Browser ?

Facebook run a Jabber server and I have done File Transfers over GoogleTalk which is also a Jabber server.

This tends to look more like a Facebook issue that the app's.

User uploaded file
9:39 pm Wednesday; November 20, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 21, 2013 1:14 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Yes, I also assumed that it's Facebook's fault. I know that it uses Jabber, just like GTalk. And yes, the file transfer works on the browser (I tried Safari or Chrome, but I bet it works on IE and Firefox as well 🙂 ).

What's strange, though, is the fact that file transfer works on Facebook Chat in Nimbuzz... So why not in Messages?

Oh, and I think I tried (successfully) to use Facebook Chat and file transfers in more than one device, even on a Mac and a Windows Machine. In the browser, of course (in various browsers, actually). So I don't think it has anything to do with that setting on Facebook.

Nov 21, 2013 11:45 AM in response to m3adi3c

HI,

When Jabber was added to iChat (ichat 3) Apple altered this doc

It have been reworked several times since.

It has always stated that the Jabber side uses Port 5222 (non SSL) and Port 5223 (SSL) for Logins and also mentions the use of port 5220.

However I use Little Snitch and have never seen port 5220 used.

Once you send your File your server transfers it to your Buddy's server on port 7777 (Mentioned here)

It is also listed in the iChat Server manual (Direct PDF link) regarding JabberProxy65

The iChat Server manual also list port 1080 as the basic File Transfer port.

This port should be open in you are using UPnP.

(the browser is more likely to force it to use port 80 or port 443 (secure).)

Messages does use port 80 but it is for a login to Apple which is used to verify the AIM logins and allow access to the password on Apple IDs used as Valid AIM Screen Names.

Little Snitch can be downloaded and used in Demo Mode to check which ports other apps are using.

User uploaded file
7:45 pm Thursday; November 21, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 21, 2013 12:05 PM in response to m3adi3c

Hi,

Get Little Snitch

Run File Transfers through each app you previously tried and see what ports they use.

We then might be able to judge why Messages and other don't seem to work.

I suspect Facebook might be using port 80 which although used by Messages is not open for Jabber stuff.

User uploaded file
8:00 pm Thursday; November 21, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

Nov 21, 2013 12:21 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

I have tried Nimbuzz, the only one that actually supports file transfers in facebook without crashes. I have uninstalled all the other.

I sent a file via Nimbuzz on Facebook chat. Little Snitch sais about this: TCP ports: http (80), 5222, UDP Ports: 30000, 59113.

Is this what I was after?

Messages tries to use 5222 w/o SSL and 5223 w/ SSL, these being the default settings.

Nov 21, 2013 1:14 PM in response to m3adi3c

Hi,

The Login should be the 5222 item out of those.

If you open the App in the Applications folder you will see listings for Messages and also IMAgent.

User uploaded file

And

User uploaded file

I do have several AIM valid IDs logging in.

Several are now using port 443 as is the Google Login I have running.

The two UDP ports ar much more likely to be the File Transfer ones.

The "report" page of Little Snitch may give details in the right hand column about the IP address of the server used and this may also list a name of the sever that can be helpful.

The port 80 listed is probably to verify your ID against the regular Facebook server.

That said the two UDP ports are nothing like any I have seen Messages use.

User uploaded file
9:14 pm Thursday; November 21, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 22, 2013 12:16 PM in response to m3adi3c

Hi,

If you untick the "Enable this Account" in Messages > Preferences > Accounts for the Facebook account, can you then change it to use SSL ?

(Will it use SSL ?)

I am wondering if the technically less secure Login on port 5222 can be made to be a SSL one on port 5223

The changing of the port is automatic once you enable SSL but you have to be logged out to change it.

The outgoing port 80 to Facebook could be the one that supplies your Buddy Pic from Messages.

User uploaded file
8:16 pm Friday; November 22, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 22, 2013 1:09 PM in response to m3adi3c

Humm,

I would try the option to Find Port and Server automatically just to see what happens.

I find that Jabber servers do tend to very about the response times of not connecting when you force the app to use the other ports.

After that I would try trawling the Facebook help and info to see if you can glean any hints.

I know that in some cases you have to be logged in to read the info.

User uploaded file
9:09 pm Friday; November 22, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 22, 2013 1:20 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

The "Find Port and Server automatically" was already checked all this time, except for when I experimented as you suggested, so it doesn't work either.

And regarding Facebook support, I'm already all over them for a couple of days, I have posted this question, no answers and I also haven't found any similar relevant information on their support communities.

Thank you very much for your time and detailed answers!

Nov 22, 2013 1:33 PM in response to m3adi3c

Hi,

User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points.

I am not sure there is anything else I can suggest.

In the past I have found some info that I have not had to log in for at Facebook but on other occasions I have been stuck - sometimes when people have given me a link.

From what I have read it is a bit like the AIM help site. You have to know how it works and double guess the filing system.

User uploaded file
9:33 pm Friday; November 22, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Multi-IM client with file transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.