Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup the entire iPhoto Library (only) directly to an extrenal hard drive ? ( Os10.6.8, iphoto 11 ver. 9.2.3 from a iMac Itel core 2 duo) -- thanks in advance.

Question: waht is the correct procedure (key stoke order) to "backup" the iPhoto library to an external hard, that is seprate from external hard drive being used for Time Machine backups ?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 3:24 PM

Make sure the disk is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2013 3:24 PM in response to Community User

Make sure the disk is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Dec 27, 2013 1:15 AM in response to MPower

Exactly why: they frequently mangle iPhoto Libraries. That's why.

Longer answer:

An iPhoto Library (which is also an Aperture Library) and indeed Libraries from some third party apps like DevonThink, is not a simple collection of files and folders. It's a ecosystem of files managed via a series of interlinked databases. They have to be backed up to the correct disk format and their relationships managed in a specific way. No online back up system uses the correct disk format, and so we find reports on here from folks who - after waiting days for their data to download - find their library corrupted.

Apr 26, 2014 6:34 PM in response to Yer_Man

I have an 84G iPhoto Library that I am trying to back up. I have a external drive connected through ethernet port directly to my iMac. I did have it connected to my router, but the file transfer was taking tooooo long. It's still says it will take about 5 days. Is this normal?

I know Time Machine is really the way to go and plan on setting that up, but I'm just trying to get my iPhoto Libraries backed up first because they are most important to me.

Jun 24, 2014 9:54 AM in response to Yer_Man

Ok...

Terence Devlin wrote:

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made.

That is exactly what I'm looking for...

But my iPhoto Library is >130GB and I would love to do a monthly offsite backup to a remote server. So my first backup (given on a good / great day, say I could push 1GB in 15 minutes) that would take about 32.5 hours. (of course it will be slower with network fluctuations throughout the day. So maybe 2 or 2.5 days to complete.

Now my problem and question is the iPhoto Library is a single file. So if I make a small change in iPhoto do I have to re-backup the entire 130GB file? or is there an app smart enough to (right click and only change the package contents inside the single iPhoto Library file?)

My backup tool of choice is Carbon Copy Cloner.

And I do subscribe to the 3-2-1 level of protection practice.

• 3 copies of any data that needs to be kept
  • 2 different devices, for protection against device failure
  • 1 location specifically designated for offsite data protection (fire / theft)

Jun 24, 2014 10:09 AM in response to h_sotnicam

You can use a backup application like Synk Pro or ChronoSync which can do incremental backups, i.e. it copies only new or modified files. I use Synk Pro and it can be set to backup the library continuously, i.e. as you're using it, or wait until iPhoto is closed then then it does it's thing. That's how I set it up.

However, the backup should be on a local external HD formatted OS X Extended (journaled). The first backup will require a full backup but subsequent backups are very quick. Time Machine also does incremental backups.

If you go to MacUpdate.com and search for "backup" you'll find a number of other possible candidates.

User uploaded file

Jun 24, 2014 10:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

I don't think you read my question...

by your own account Synk Pro or ChronoSync can do incremental backups on new or modified files.

So... if my iPhoto Library is 130GB and I open up iPhoto and add a single photo... I have "modified" the iPhoto Library file, correct?

So my question is will Synk Pro (or any other App) not re-backup the entire "modified" 130GB file?

User uploaded file

Jun 24, 2014 10:31 AM in response to h_sotnicam

You keep saying that iPhoto is a single file. It's not. It's a package - that's a folder that looks like a file in the Finder, so adding a single photo will not trigger a full back up of all 130 gigs, as long as your back up app understands the format. I've used CCC. If you're not sure email the developer and ask him/her. SuperDuper and Chronosync in my experience understand packages. I believe CCC does too.

That said, you can't back up iPhoto to a server unless it's correctly formatted. Very few are. If you try and write to the database when it's on a disk formatted anything except Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then you risk corrupting the Library. Updating a back up is writing to the DB.

How to backup the entire iPhoto Library (only) directly to an extrenal hard drive ? ( Os10.6.8, iphoto 11 ver. 9.2.3 from a iMac Itel core 2 duo) -- thanks in advance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.