Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Pages - How do I delete a page number from an imported Word doc?

I was sent an email with a six page WORD document attached. The attachment opened in Pages. Most of it is good, but there are page number characters in the wrong place. I cannot do anything to them. They seem to be outside the document text, off to the right side and only partially showing. Definitely not at the bottom where they should be seen. Going over them with the cursor does not allow me to select and delete these numbers. I thought they might be in footnote format and in the Inspector I unchecked Header and Footnote, which did nothing to help.

Also, I've tried without success to just go and add my own page numbers which might work, but then will need white-out or similar to remove the old page number.

Working in Text and PDF format did not work, either, and I do not have Word.

Unfortunately, I've spent hours on this and really hope somebody has a good suggestion on how to deal with these characters.

Thanks

Pages '08-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 3:38 PM

Menu > View > Show Layout

Hold down the command key and try and lasso the text box by dragging in off the edge of the document, then delete it.

Peter

4 replies

Mar 4, 2014 4:37 AM in response to donaldfromoak hill

Just to clarify, once you have done this you still need to use the command key and 'lasoo' the object from off the edge. So full process (in version '09 4.3) is

Format > Advanced > Make Master Objects Selectable

Then put your mouse to the edge of the page, press CMD key and drag to select the offending item. Then it will appear with a box around and can be deleted.

Thanks to all who posted these tips - I was pulling my hair out over a client document!

In Pages - How do I delete a page number from an imported Word doc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.