Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can an older TC be wirelessly connected to extend an AE base?

I have a new AExpress downstairs connected to Apple TV (via ethernet) and speakers. A cable router provides internet to it via ethernet cable. I want to add my older TC model A1254 upstairs with printer to extend the AE wireless network. I think the AE should be in bridge mode and the TC as an extender, but can't get that to work. 1. Is this possible? 2. How should they be configured?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 5:52 PM

I think the AE should be in bridge mode

That would be correct if the AirPort Extreme is connected to another router.....not a simple modem.

Are you saying that you are not able to see the settings on the AirPort Express to verify how it is configured?

Once you have the AirPort Express working correctly, it should be a quick and simple matter to configure the TC to "Extend a wireless network"

AirPort Setup in Mountain Lion will practically do everything for you automatically on this setup.

If you are not sure how to proceed, post back for further instructions.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2013 5:52 PM in response to Sojourner1970

I think the AE should be in bridge mode

That would be correct if the AirPort Extreme is connected to another router.....not a simple modem.

Are you saying that you are not able to see the settings on the AirPort Express to verify how it is configured?

Once you have the AirPort Express working correctly, it should be a quick and simple matter to configure the TC to "Extend a wireless network"

AirPort Setup in Mountain Lion will practically do everything for you automatically on this setup.

If you are not sure how to proceed, post back for further instructions.

Nov 20, 2013 5:55 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

My AExpress has the following settings

- Internet = DHCP

- Wireless = Create a wireless network

- Network = DHCP & NAT

The TC is configured

- Internet = DHCP

- Wireless = Extend (with the extact same network name and password)

- Network = off (bridge mode) grayed out.

When I open Airport all I can see is the AExpress. So to access the TC I have to connect it with ethernet to my computer. Then I can see it under the Other Wireless Device/USB Ethernet.

Also, I'm running Mavericks. Thanks

Nov 20, 2013 6:18 PM in response to Sojourner1970

My AExpress has the following settings

- Internet = DHCP

- Wireless = Create a wireless network

- Network = DHCP & NAT

Your original post mentioned that A cable router provides internet to it via ethernet cable.

If you have the AirPort Express configured to connect to another router....then the AirPort Express Network > Router Mode should be "Off" Bridge Mode.

If the AirPort Express is connected to a simple modem, then the Router Mode should be DHCP and NAT.

Let's get the AirPort Express configured correctly first.....then, we'll tackle the Time Capsule.

So, the first question......do you have the AirPort Express connected to a router....or a simple modem?

Nov 20, 2013 6:33 PM in response to Sojourner1970

Start over on the TC and let AirPort Setup handle things. Temporarily, move the TC near the AirPort Express and power it up.

After the TC has been powered up for a few minutes, hold in the reset button on the back of the TC for 10 seconds and release, then allow a full minute for the TC to restart to a slow, blinking amber light.

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on Other Wi-Fi Devices

Click on Time Capsule

AirPort Setup will open up automatically and take a minute to analzye the network, then announce that the TC will be configured to extend the AirPort Express network

Enter a name for the TC device that you want to use. You can use the same device name that you used before and then click Next.

AirPort Setup will take another minute to configure the TC. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done

Now move the TC about half way between the AirPort Express and the general area that needs more wireless coverarage and power up the TC.

How can an older TC be wirelessly connected to extend an AE base?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.